Burned Out

You've come home again, it's dark out. Another long day of grueling work, over. You putter around the kitchen a minute but decide you're just too tired to bother with food. Sleep for dinner should be fine. Again.

Placing your hand on the railing, you look up the dark staircase and attempt one step but your body screams 'no no NO!' so you slink over to the couch and sink into the cushions. It's not where you should be sleeping but you're too tired to care.

After an unknown amount of time passes, you hear the jingle of keys at the door. Your partner just got home, and they're going to see you like this? Shameful. They'll want to leave once they see the state of you.

As the door opens, tears begin to slide down your face and you become congested. Oh great. Now you'll be a blubbering mess as you beg them not to leave you.

As they enter with groceries, humming a song, they stop and place the groceries on the table and come around the couch to see you, crying, and curled under a blanket you managed to pull onto of you.

"Oh my goodness are you ok?"

You look up, miserably, and shake your head.

"What happened?!"

"I just" *sniff* "I'm so unhappy with this job. I just can't keep doing this. I'm so tired." You choke back a sob but still manage to sound absolutely pitiful.

"Please, please don't leave me. I know I'm a mess but please, I'm so sorry, just don't leave me."

Your partner brushes some hair away from your face and caresses your arm gently.

"Honey, I wouldn't dream of it. You're tired and need sleep."

You nod your head. You don't even have the energy to sit up. You just close your eyes. You feel your partner's strong arms gently picking you up bridal style and carrying you up the stairs. You inhale their clean scent. They lay you down on the bed and lay a blanket over you, pulling it up to your chin and planting a kiss on your cheek.

You smile gently. Maybe, just maybe, things might be ok.