Can't Go Home

Cw: noncon medical care

Whumpee entered the day room at the rehab center they were healing at. They were lured in with the promise of fast food but knew it was a trap as soon as they crossed the threshold. Caretaker gently moved them forward in their wheelchair, doctors and specialists and psychologists all waiting with a greasy bag of food at the table.

"What is this? You tricked me! Take me back to my room!"

"Whumpee, this conversation has to happen." Caretaker locked the wheelchair knowing Whumpee was too weak to unlock it.

"Whumpee, I understand you wanted to go home after your stay here," Doctor started, "but unfortunately that can't happen-"

"What do you mean?! I'm staying here forever?!"

"No, we have a sister facility that handles special cases like yourself."

"You have significant mental, emotional and physical needs that cannot be managed by Caretaker alone," Psychologist added. "It's not fair to them."

"Well what's fair to ME? Did you think about THAT?"

Caretaker broke down in tears.

Unfazed by their outbursts, the doctors continued on. "You deserve to be taken care of. THAT'S what's fair. You suffered terribly. We are not arguing that. What we are saying is you are just not well enough to go home."

"Can't I have Home Health Care come in?"

"Not for the degree of malady that you're working with."

Tears began to spill out of Whumpee's eyes.

"But-but I've tried so HARD."

"We know," said the physical therapist, "but you need extra help and extra time."

"Will I ever go home?"

Everyone shared uncomfortable glances with one another.

"That's a conversation to be had in a few months."

The fast food bag was pushed towards Whumpee.

"Here."

"This is a shitty consolation prize, y'know."