Fallen through the ice

It was cold. It was so cold. Whumpee could barely catch their breath when their legs fell through the ice. As soon as the water hit their unprepared body, it was like everything stopped. Fortunately, their shirt snagged on the ice; otherwise, they'd have been completely submerged and their response to the cold would have ended them.

"Whumpee, quit playing in the water and come back right now. Right. Now." Whumper sternly scolded from the shore.

Whumper knew exactly how dangerous the situation was but wanted to see how the failed escape attempt would end. They didn't necessarily want this one to die, but it would save them the research process of finding another good fit again.

"A a I h help mme p please!" Whumpee choked out.

"Ugh. You're useless. FINE I'll help. Relax your body like we practiced. Spread your arms out. Kick your feet. Are you kicking?" Whumpee could barely move, let alone kick. They were managing some light fluttering. "Not good enough. If you don't try then I'll leave you out here." With a deep breath, Whumpee kicked with all their might until they were able to pull themselves flat onto the sturdy ice.

That was it. They had no more energy. It was obvious to Whumper who walked out to them slowly, took them by the back of the shirt, and dragged them home through the snow. Because bad guests don't get to use their feet. If their feet are still usable, at this point. Ugh. They'd have to check for frostbite. WHAT an annoyance. If this one survives, they are going to be locked up in chains permanently.