Touch-Starved

Cw: manhandling and restraining, describing the death of Whumpee's mother, gun mention

Whumpee had been rescued and was recovering in a hospital. They had no assigned Caretakers yet and were in the hands of the hospital staff.

Because they had no assigned Caregivers, Whumpee was essentially ignored aside from bandage changes and other medical needs like bathing. Even while eating, the staff left Whumpee alone.

With no one to talk to or engage with, Whumpee began to crave attention in the worst way. Especially hugs. They hadn't had one of those since, since before they were taken! They remembered their mother who would always give them hugs as they came in the door and as they left. But that didn't matter anymore. Whumper took care of that, placing a bullet cleanly between her eyes as they dragged Whumpee, screaming, from their home.

Whumpee shuddered as the memory came and faded. They hated thinking about it, about her fate, and began to sniffle. They missed their mama.

A doctor and nurses entered the room. "Hello, it's time for bandage changes." 'Wow they couldn't even use my name,' Whumpee thought, annoyed.

They sat on the bed and removed the blankets. As one of the nurses began to remove the bandages, one was stuck on a scab and Whumpee jolted. "Sorry," she muttered. As she went to continue, Whumpee pulled away, not wanting to feel the sensation of tearing again. The staff looked at each other and then at Whumpee. The doctor spoke up and warned "You need to hold still." The nurse continued pulling and Whumpee began to howl in pain as the scab was torn from Whumpee's leg. Whumpee became more antsy and pushed at her arms to get her away. She wasn't doing it right.

The doctor hit the call bell and two nursing assistants entered the room. "Please hold the patient while we resume the bandage changes.

With a nursing assistant on each side, Whumpee was stuck. However, as the staff changed the bandages and cleaned up their newly opened up leg, Whumpee couldn't help but feel compelled to sit quietly as they had a warm body on either side of them, squeezing them tight. It felt almost like a hug in a strange way. It reminded them of their mother and they felt safer.

'I could get used to this.' Whumpee began to make a habit of fighting back exclusively so they could have a nursing assistant sit with them. They did so at baths, bandage changes, hell, if they were able to have a staff member with them, they would fight until they had it.

In a staff meeting, the doctor and nurses were trying to figure out what had caused the change in Whumpee's behavior as this would be the opposite reaction that is seen in someone getting better. The easier the bandage changes and the more cognizant the patient is, the better it should be. They began to discuss potential psych meds to put them on and to have them sedated during any medical intervention.

One of the nursing assistants spoke up. "What if they're just lonely?"

The doctor brushed aside the thought and continued to discuss four point restraints.

The nursing assistant spoke up again. "I'm serious. I think Whumpee is lonely. Have you noticed that once someone is with them or touching them, they calm down?"

The doctor hesitated. The nurses hesitated. "What do you suggest?" They asked.

"Well, one of us could keep them company throughout the day and be there for bandage changes and meal times and baths and everything that they need done. Realistically, they need a Caretaker. Has the social worker assigned someone to them yet?"

"Well, no, as a matter of fact. We were trying to wait to get them to a healthier place. I see what you're saying though, they need engagement. Talk amongst yourselves to assign someone to them for this week and we'll see how it goes."

After the meeting, the nursing assistants planned out a schedule so someone would always be with Whumpee.

The next morning, after a nursing assistant brought Whumpee their breakfast, they pulled up a chair and sat down. "Mind if I hang out? We thought you might be lonely. Until we can get you a Caretaker, we'll be keeping you company."

Carefully listing while chewing their toast, Whumpee nodded. This sounded great! And it was great. With someone to talk to, Whumpee blossomed back into who they were. They made more progress in physical and occupational therapy, had support for bandage changes, and improved overall.

By the time Caretaker was assigned and showed up, Whumpee was in such great shape that they were ready to pack up and take them home. Whumpee cautiously reached out and held their hand as they walked to the car. Caretaker looked down and squeezed Whumpee's hand with a gentle smile. 'I think I'm gonna be ok.'