Years

Cw: mentions of medical whump and experimental surgery, fear and panic, major character death

Years. It had been years since the ordeal. Whumpee 1 woke up and felt the familiar choke in the back of their throat as they remembered Whumpee 2 crying for help as they were wheeled out of their adjoining cells and into the operating theater for the last time. The last memory Whumpee 1 will have of Whumpee 2  will forever be their face contorted in true fear, tears streaming down their face as their voice cracked from screaming so hard.

Romantic Partner roused next to Whumpee 1, saw the look on their face, the tears glittering in their eyes. They made eye contact and Romantic Partner opened their arms for Whumpee 1 to lean into and cry on their shoulder.

"I should be over this. It's been years. Years."

"Sweetheart, you know that grief isn't linear. You know that it sneaks up on you every once in awhile, please don't be mean to yourself over it. You deserve to treat yourself as you would treat me if I were grieving. You're a star, baby. You're my star that guides me."

Whumpee 1 sniffled. "Oh yeah?"

"Yeah. You're the only star in my sky. So treat yourself that way. Mkay?"

"Mkay."