Prologue

The nightmares from that night keep me awake. The last thing I remember is my dad pulling away from me and tucking himself away. I laid there. My innocence gone. No man had ever touched me like that and the man I had trusted for almost 18 years had taken something so sacred to me. They told me to never give it up unless it was someone special.

He was not special. He threw me down on the stable floor and ripped everything away from me. I remember feeling the Heat before I saw it. He was bringing over the cattle brander. It had BD on it. For Bobby Davis. I screamed as it hit my left Hit. I know I fainted not long after it made contact.

I woke up in the medical ward. I saw my mother and father standing talking to Johanna.

"No one can know. If they do it will look bad on Amity. You are a council member. You will be ruined." I heard my mother said.

"It was a lapsed in Judgement. I had to much serum this evening. She looks just like you." His voice said.

"And the brand?" Johanna asked. Almost disgusted sounding.

"It has been our thing." My mother jumped in. It seemed like a lie. My mother a liar? But she was a Candor transfer. I guess even Candors can lie.

"We will keep this a secert. But I want her to move in to the bunk. She turned 18 next week and with the test only a few months away she need more practice at being the best Amity. I have her in mind for George, the Jacob's boy." Johanna said.

I stayed quiet. I felt a hand wrap around me and I knew it wasn't my families. Johanna's?

"You will be okay. You will do great things Annie." I heard her whisper in my ear.

I squeeze her hand to let her know I understood. I just want her to leave. For everyone to leave. I want to curl up in a ball and be left alone. Johanna let go of my hand and ushered my parents out of the room.

I can't stay here. When the picking ceramony comes around I will not stay here. I don't know where I wil go but I need to get out.