17.

Eric and I didn't spend much time in his apartment after we were released. He got called into a meeting so he sent me back to the dorms. The dorm was quiet. Only the sounds of an occasional snore. It was close to 2 am. I removed Erics knife from my joggers and placed it under my pillow. I tried hard to be quiet while I changed but I must have woken Niki because she turned her around so she was facing me.

"You're back early." She mumbled her voice sleepy.

"Yeah. um. Eric released me Early as a reward for coming in second." I lied thankful for the dark to hide my face so she couldn't tell that I was lying.

"That is good. Now you'll be refreshed for tomorrow." She mumbled but this time softly as if she was almost asleep again. I smiled and took off my joggers and left the leggings on. I took off Erics hoodie and stripped the long sleeve and sports bra I had in before putting Eric's hoodie back in. Crawling into bed I thought about tonight.

I am actually going to be a leader. I didn't even know this was a mentorship to be a leader. I thought Eric was just being a dick at the beginning. But he choose me because he thought I was the weakest link. But I guess he saw more in me than I did. Than I still do. I am worried about where this will take me. It will definitely put a target on my back. Being the youngest leader. Then once people realize that me and Eric are together it will make every thing more complicated.

I turned over and stare at Niki. She was sleeping deeply now. If only they knew what I just got thrown into. I closed my eyes and tried to sleep. But I couldn't sleep. I tossed and turned. I finally just laid there looking at the ceiling. I grabbed Eric's knife and looked at it. I played with it. Throwing it up and catching. Spinning it between my fingers. It took a while but I finally fell asleep after just Gazing at the word that has brought me so much comfort the last 2 weeks.

>>>

We were woken up 5 am. While everyone was groggy I wasn't. I got more sleep last night than I normally do. I didn't feel like changing so I just slipped my socks and my boots on. I slipped Erics knife and into my leggings waistband. The cold metal bit into my skin but didn't cut me. I'll have to get a strap for it.

"You are here early?" Jacob said groggy as he put his shoes on.

"Yeah. Eric released me around 2 as a good job for making 2nd." I told him as a brushed my hair into a ponytail.

"Wow. Eric being nice? That is a first." Ian snarked over hearing our conversation. I had to bit my tongue to keep from snapping back at him.

"Yes. Maybe try harder and you would get nice Eric." I snarked instead and walked out of the dorm.

I walked through the pit and saw Erica. She was talking with Uriah with lovestruck eyes. I smiled and walked up to her and slid my arms in hers. She jumped and smiled at me.

"You coming to the distribution right?" I asked her after spending Uriah a small smile.

"Yeah. All inituates have to go." She said sounding bummed.

"Hey think if it as actual time to spend with me. We haven't spent much time together since capture the flag. It has been a crazy couple of weeks." I told her with a wink. She just laughed.

"Hey. Ann. You coming to breakfast?" I heard Jacob yell over the sounds of the pit. I look over at him and nodded. I looked back at Erica.

"You coming?" I asked her. She shook her head no and I gave her a questioning look.

"You go ahead. I have to get a. Um. Work out in." She said and made eyes at Uriah. Uriah chocked on the water he was drinking and blushed.

"Okay." I said and pulled her into a hug. "Look at us. Causing our instructors to fall to their knees" I whispered.