8: Zachariah

Alan led all four of them down a small path cut into the woods until they came to a small garage. He wordlessly picked out a key from his keychain, unlocked the garage, and swung the door open; revealing a black Corvette. Nyx heard Nate whistle in amazement. They all scrambled into the car, Alan was driving, Mary was in the passenger seat, and Nate and Nyx occupied the back seats. The two scooted down to peek over the edge of the window again, just like they did before they arrived here. Nyx peered out of the window as Alan was pulling out of the garage, distraught that she was forced to pick up and leave all over again. She hasn't even been able to speak to her mother since the night before she went to school that day...

~~~~~~~~~~

Nyx opened her eyes after apparently dozing off. It was dark as she peered through the car window, she looked to her left and saw Nate also asleep and slumped over towards her. She looked ahead of her and saw Mary was now driving and Alan was asleep in the passenger seat. She looked back out the window and up towards the sky, the stars were bright and plentiful, I guess we're in the middle of nowhere, Nyx thought. Although she was still too afraid to look out the window for fear that a police car would drive by at the exact wrong time.

Nyx had this pit in her stomach, she's had it since the incident at her school where her life changed forever. Every event that led her to this moment was a sick feeling of dark surprise nailed into her brain. She killed someone, her mind flashed back to the image of that knife embedded into the throat of someone whose name she didn't even know. Maybe she was dangerous.

You don't actually think that...do you?

Nate's voice invaded Nyx's mind as she looked out of the window, she slowly turned her head to look at him, his head was raised up and his eyes were locked with hers the moment she turned around. Her breath caught in her throat from the confidence and determination lacing his gaze.

I can't help it...I did kill him and you can't tell me I didn't. Nyx thought in her mind, he closed his eyes softly and let out a soft sigh.

Nyx, you're my best friend. I know that you aren't dangerous, what happened back then was an accident. I know who you are, and I'm going to stand by you. Nate's eyes didn't let Nyx go. She couldn't bring herself to find an answer for him. When her eyes had fully adjusted to the darkness in the car she noticed how close she was to Nate's face, his black shaggy hair falling over his face so his eyes were barely peeking through. She just...stared.

...Are you...okay? Nate's voice invaded her mind again. She was snapped from her thoughts, but didn't have time to answer because the car had taken a slow, left turn into a long driveway. Both Nate and Nyx's attention were turned out the window, the small manor was quite elegant. Crafted expertly from dark oak wood, the building had intricate carving in the pillars and window frames, holding stained glass windows.

"Wakey wakey kids...we're here." Mary's soft voice broke the silence in the car. The two in the back seat have been awake for quite a while though. Alan softly jolted awake and looked out the window at the manor.

"Yep...this is it," He turned his body to look at the two in the back seat. "Are you kids ready?"

Nate and Nyx exchanged a look, "Yeah." Nyx responded confidently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They approached the door behind Alan after parking the car in a hidden back parking lot behind the manor. Nyx's heart started beating faster as Alan raised his arm to knock. She felt Nate softly grab her hand, she looked over at him with a worried look.

Alan knocked, knock knock...knockknockknock...knock knock

After about ten seconds, a man opened the door. He was an older man, wearing a black suit with a red tie. He wordlessly waved them into the manor, it felt as though they entered a different world, the floors were a dark wood and beautifully finished, dark red carpet led from the front door and up the extravagant staircase. A large crystal chandelier hung above them as they entered.

"The master will see you in a few minutes, please wait in the parlor." The butler said softly while gesturing to a room off to the left of them. After entering and sitting down on the long couches and chairs, the butler excused himself to continue his duties.

After the group exchanged a few worried and confused looks, a different man entered. He was middle aged and handsome, wearing a casual button-up shirt and equally casual, black slacks. Nyx's heart started beating faster again, however this was a different reason.

You okay there? Nate's voice invaded her mind, she looked in his direction to see him looking at her with an amused look on his face. Nyx blushed and looked away, she heard Nate chuckle.

"Well, good evening, honored guests." His voice was deep, yet lyrical; a shiver went down Nyx's spine. "I know why you are here, and I will help you." He walked towards Nyx and kneeled in front of her while taking her hand. "You must be The Gifted, I'm sorry that this unfortunate event has befallen you. However, I will do everything in my power to make sure you have a chance at a normal life." Nyx was enthralled in this man's sweet and sultry presence. She couldn't even notice Nate staring at this man with a blank stare, laced with a faint whisper of contempt. After the man had stood up and let go of Nyx's hand, he turned his attention to the rest of the group.

"My name is Zachariah. I will help you all across the border to give The Gifted One a chance at a normal life. However, we must wait until tomorrow night. There will be a rainstorm that will greatly assist in hiding our approach. On the other side of the border there will be someone waiting to give you the proper papers, making you an official Canadian citizen." He paced slowly in front of all of them. He snapped his fingers and a different butler who was standing idly by the large fireplace approached.

"Show them to their rooms please." Zachariah asked him before leaving the room. The butler led the group upstairs and into a hallway that was lined with large oak doors. He showed Mary to her room first, then Alan, when Nate reached his room he paused before entering, he watched the butler lead Nyx down the hallway and into her own room, before continuing his walk down the hall and disappearing around the far corner. He then entered his own room. The rooms were posh and clean. A large double bed in the center of the room, elevated on a small platform, Nyx approached the bed and sat down. It was soft and light, like she had sat on a cloud. It wasn't too long before Nate's voice entered her mind.

You okay? His voice sounded calm and soft inside her mind, like he was whispering from right next to her.

Yeah I'm okay, I mean this time tomorrow we'll be home free, right? She thought inside her head.

Hopefully...I don't know if I trust this guy. Nate sounded deep in thought.

Why not? He has helped countless Gifted into new lives.

Since when do you call them gifted? Nate's voice changed to a subtly annoyed tone.

I like it, it makes me feel like...less of a freak.

Nate took a while to respond, Nyx almost thought that he had fallen asleep before he answered again. I'm sorry Nyx, I guess I'm just paranoid. I don't want anything to happen to you.

Nyx smiled, It's okay Nate, goodnight.

Goodnight.