58: Another Life

October 30th
One day until Halloween

Nyx stood in the shower with her eyes closed, enjoying the warm water running down her head and back. Her mind was wondering what she could do for Halloween. She had heard around school that there was a festival happening in the fairgrounds about a half hour away from the school. That might be fun, as long as she is careful not to drink too much...

After the shower, she put on some clothes before she heard a ding on her phone. Nyx walked over to her nightstand and picked up her phone. She had gotten a text from Oliver asking if she wanted to join him and a few others for Halloween shopping. She smiled down at her phone before responding with a yes. She then slid her phone in her pocket and left her room.

Down in the lobby, she saw Oliver and all of her friends, even Orion. "Hey! You're coming too?" Nyx asked him.

He nodded slightly, "Yes. Danny said it might be a good way for me to get used to being in public." Orion answered as he glanced at Danny.

"It'll be fine, you'll be surrounded by us and we'll all be having fun finding some stuff for Halloween. It'll be fun, you'll see." Danny said as he patted Orion's shoulder. Orion smiled gently at Danny before Oliver got everyone's attention.

"Well, now that everyone is here. Shall we head into town?" Oliver asked grandly before walking towards the main entrance, not giving anyone a real choice. The group exchanged a few soft smiles before they followed him outside towards the car. As they walked, Nyx looked over at Danny and Orion and she giggled slightly when she noticed that Orion was following Danny closely like a lost puppy.

"What's so funny?" She heard Nate whisper to her as he leaned close.

Nyx giggled again and subtly pointed towards them. "Orion is following Danny around like a lost puppy, I think that's funny." Nate looked at the two after Nyx finished talking and chuckled softly.

"It is kinda funny, but also kinda sweet too. There's something that's been racking my brain though." Nyx looked at Nate with a confused look. "Orion once mentioned that Kuroi technically owned him because he was created by the Erebus Mafia. What the hell did he mean by that?" Nate finished talking as he looked over at Orion, who was talking idly with Danny and Nerissa. Nyx looked perplexed, she hadn't thought about that. She did remember the strange device Kuroi had that attacked Orion's cells directly.

"Hey!" Oliver got the couple's attention as he stood outside the open driver's seat door of the SUV. "You plan on joining us? Today maybe?" He said with a slight attitude. The two apologized before getting into the car with everyone else.

The drive was filled with idle conversations between the passengers, laughing and dumb jokes and showing Orion many marvels of the city. Orion kept his gaze out the window for almost the entire ride, he had seen the city of course, but only from an infiltrators perspective. The car came to a stop as Oliver pulled into a parking space and the group filed out of the car. "Where do you wanna go first?" Nyx turned around and asked everyone. Nerissa's hand shot up and she bounced on her feet a few times. Nyx snorted before she called on Nerissa.

"There's a Halloween place around the corner, they have costumes, candy and even decorations!" Neri sounded excited about this place so the group decided to give it a try. After Nerissa had led them to the store and they stepped inside, Nyx shook off a strange chill that felt like she was being watched. A feeling that normally would be laced with malice and ill intent, but this time was different.

"Have you guys given any thoughts on what you wanna be for Halloween?" Danny asked the group idly as they walked down the aisles.

"So uh, remind me again..." Orion started talking quietly but paused when almost everyone gave him their attention. "Halloween is when people get dressed up in scary costumes and...ask for candy?" He looked slightly embarrassed for not knowing.