79: If I was bleeding, would you fix me?

It was three days after Damien and Nyx wiped out Iris, giving Damien's injuries time to... barely even start healing. Nyx was in the kitchen with her coffee. She stared off into space and her mind seemed to drift. She remembered seeing Nate that night, fighting against Z. He looked so tired...and angry. To be honest, he reminded her of Nate's father...and it felt wrong. Nyx anxiously nibbled on her lip, there's a pretty good chance he'll be mad when I come home... especially when he finds out I've been alive for months.

She hoped that part of him would understand why she didn't come home right away, but she also knew him too well. Based on how he was acting in the moments leading up to her death, it was likely that he would be...prickly. That wouldn't be all she would have to deal with when she went home, seeing Danny again, Kyle, Soul, Orion, Rhys and Nerissa. Not to mention her mother...and having to tell all of them that Damien was the reason she's alive at all.

"Good morning." Damien spoke flatly and jolted Nyx out of her mind. She looked up at him as he walked to the coffee maker for his own cup. He was trying to hide it, but Nyx could tell he was still in pain.

"Hey." Nyx responded as she mimicked his flat tone. Damien wordlessly poured himself a cup of coffee before walking to the table and sitting across from her.

"So, I hope you're ready to move out tonight." Damien said with a tone of sudden urgency, Nyx raised an eyebrow.

"Why?" She inquired with veiled suspicion.

"Because Faust told me something alarming, he said that word around the grape vine says that Z is planning to skip town tomorrow morning. If he manages that, he'll likely be gone for good." Damien said as he leaned forward onto his elbows, cupping his coffee mug with both hands. Nyx's eyes widened slightly before her lip curled subtly.

"Well, I'm always ready, but are you?" Nyx asked him with a raised eyebrow, sure Damien was Gifted, but his healing wasn't that good. She could tell the gunshot wound still hurt him when he moved his torso. She heard Damien chuckle softly before he looked up at her.

"A little pain isn't going to hold me back, besides, if I don't go then you'll be alone and he'll just kill you again." Damien's voice sounded sincere and it threw Nyx off again. She narrowed her eyes on him slightly.

"Alright fine, we'll start searching for his lair as soon as the sun goes down." Nyx said as she placed her forehead in her palm and ran her hand through her raven hair. Damien smirked coyly as he brought his mug up to his mouth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That Night

Nyx and Damien perched on the roof of a building that overlooked the slums district. They knew that Z's lair was in this area, somewhere within a mile, they just had to find it.

"Okay, where would a highly trained Gifted killer pick for his hideout?" Nyx whispered under her mask, seemingly to herself.

"Well, sure as hell not there..." Damien responded quietly, Nyx looked over and followed his gaze to see police filing in and out of a pub. Each time one of them entered or left, they could see inside, and saw nothing but half cleaned blood and bodies that were being taken away. Nyx's eyes widened in shock, while Damien raised an eyebrow in intrigue. "I'm gunna try and get closer." Damien whispered as he looked back towards Nyx. Before she could protest, Damien dashed off across the roof before quickly turning around as he fell over the edge. Nyx watched as shadows snaked out from under Damien's clothes and shot up to latch onto the edge of the roof. Damien slowed down before coming to a stop in the air above the officers, thankfully it was dark enough that he blended right into the shadows.