29: The Death Of Peace Of Mind

After Nate had answered about ten minutes worth of his mother's questions, they had finally gotten on the road with Nate driving. Nyx sat in the passenger seat while the rest sat in the back.

"What's the plan again?" Nerissa asked the group as Nate pulled onto the highway.

"Jack is going to be flying above the Estate to give us an overhead view, Nate here is gunna be our link to Jack, and to give us warning if shit goes south. The rest of us are sneaking inside from the back window, it's the closest entry to the basement." Soul said to the others. "I'll say one thing, the odds are small, but if we happen to get separated...if any of you see my father, Kuroi Kage." Soul leaned forward. "Run." The group stiffened slightly. "I'm serious, don't be cocky, don't test your luck, just run."

"What about Danny, then?" Rhys spoke up, "We can't just leave him there to die because of your old man."

"We can still save Danny, we just have to keep my dad away from us until we can get him out. Besides, this is all unlikely, he usually likes to have other people do his dirty work." Soul responded with a hint of frustration. "Nerissa, you got your water bottle?" She asked as she looked at Nerissa.

"Check." She said as she lifted up her water bottle that had a strap attached so she could carry it hands free.

"Good. Now, the three of us will be charged with getting Nerissa to Danny as fast as possible. I'm not gunna sugar coat this, there's a strong chance that Danny will be barely clinging to life when we find him. He probably won't be able to run unless Nerissa heals him up." Soul spoke coldly, but her voice held a hint of deep concern.

"Don't worry, we'll get her to him." Rhys said sternly. He didn't care how difficult this was going to be. He didn't even know that everyone in that van would be drastically changed by the next few hours.

~~~~~~~~~

Danny's screams filled the empty room again as Damien slammed a blunt shadow onto Danny's foot and shattered it. Damien laughed madly as Danny's scream died down.

"Oh, I love your screams. I can't wait to make you listen to your friend's sweet screams as well." Damien taunted again, hoping to hear him beg for mercy, and beg for his friends lives.

But Danny wasn't built that way, "You won't be able to, because they're gunna wipe that smug grin off your face." Danny growled out as he lifted his throbbing head with a weak smile. Damien responded by bringing up another shadow tendril with a sharp edge. It flicked forward before stopping a hair breath away from stabbing through the underside of Danny's chin. Danny barely even reacted, he only lifted his chin slightly and looked in Damien's eyes.

"Still haven't broken that will, I see." Damien growled before the tendril moved down and slowly dragged down Danny's chest, cutting deep into his skin as he yelled in agony. "I know how to fix that." He added as he recalled the tendril and Danny's head dropped in exhaustion. "You remember those friends of yours, who will bravely storm into this place and save you?" Damien was taunting him again. "What if I had told you...that one of them was a member of your true family?"

Danny's head rose slowly and his eyes were slightly frantic. "W-what? You're lying." Danny spit his words at him.

" Danny spit his words at him