43: Epiphany

Soul walked down the hall with purpose, she wanted to find someone to tell her what the hell happened. She knew that there was one person who would tell her the entire truth. She approached Danny's door and knocked on it, he didn't answer. It was like 2pm so if he was here, he would answer. Soul scoffed before she turned around and knocked on Nate's door. He actually answered, but he looked like he hadn't slept in days.

"Hey." He said in a low tone, clearly exhausted.

"What happened?" Soul said sternly as she walked past him and into his room. Nate sighed, already knowing what she was talking about.

"They were on a mission early this morning to secure explosives that were set by the Erebus Mafia. They were gunna blow up the huge supply warehouse across town." Nate shut his door as he turned around to talk to her. "Everything was supposedly going fine until this...guy showed up." Nate rubbed his chin. "I didn't even know that anything was wrong until I was woken up by Danny banging on Nyx's door. He said he had another vision and that it was about Nyx's mission. He said she was in grave danger so naturally, we sped to the warehouse as fast as we could." Soul was watching him intently, taking in every ounce of information on who this random guy is. "When we got there...there was this guy there, he looked like he was our age but his presence...it was...heavy." Nate looked off into space, remembering the pain he felt when that dragon bit into him. "I remember Danny saying that his ability was...ghost-like? He could become incorporeal, like a ghost. He also had these...dragons, they had their own consciousness and could become incorporeal like him. Nyx was able to defeat him because she...kind of snapped." Nate looked down as he crossed his arms.

"What do you mean "she snapped"?" Soul asked him with a worried tone.

"Well, ya see Orion, that's his name, one of his dragons bit me, it burned like hell and knocked me out for a few minutes. After that, Nyx became...." Nate paused, struggling to find his words. "I've never seen her like that. It was like she became a gravitational anomaly. Danny stopped her from killing him, for some reason, and then she started to get...unstable." Nate spoke quieter, he didn't want to remember what he had to do to her. "I had to use my ability to force her to sleep, I didn't like it but I didn't have a choice. She was tearing her own body apart!" Nate got louder now, trying to convince Soul that he didn't want to do it.

"Woah, dude. I know you didn't have a choice. You don't have to convince me." Soul said in a calm tone.

"I know that." Nate said with a confused tone. "It's just....controlling her like that...it felt wrong...but I had to...Oliver was at death's door and Nyx wasn't far behind." Soul looked down. She knew how wrong it felt to control people, she knew how wrong it felt to be controlled. However, this guy he was describing didn't really sound familiar to her, which was strange.

"Wait, why did Danny stop Nyx from killing that guy?" Soul asked him.

"Oh, he said that the guy had a tracking bracelet on his ankle, he seemed pretty shaken up about it." Nate responded idly, while Soul's heart started thumping loudly in her ears. Her father never put a tracking device on anyone, he always said they were unnecessary. So why would he put one on Orion? Something wasn't adding up...

What really bothered her though, was that Nyx and Oliver were almost killed by someone that her father had recruited, or taken. He stepped up his game, and the fact that Nyx almost killed Orion was almost certainly going to get back to Kuroi. Things were only going to get worse for her friends.

And it's all because of me...

Soul walked back to her room while she hung her head in deep thought. She sat down on her bed after flicking on the lamp that sat on her nightstand. Her mind started wandering to a dark place, a place that she knew well.