13: Nighthawk

^^^***Jack concept art included***^^^

Nate wandered around the courtyard looking for Rhys, he wanted to talk to him more about this arena thing. It had been about a week since he was arrested, and another event was supposed to start today. Nate finally spotted Rhys talking with Danny and Drake against the large, red brick wall that separated the males and females. When Nate approached, Rhys stopped listening to what Danny had been saying to greet Nate.

"Hey man! Are you ready to see the fight today?" Rhys asked him in a cheery voice.

"Wait, we get to watch?" Nate asked, confused.

"Yeah, haven't you wondered what that TV in your room is for? It only has one channel that works and it's a live stream of the event whenever it takes place." Danny answered.

"If you guys want, we can pile into my room and watch it there." Rhys suggested to the group.

"Do you guys know who was picked this time?" Nate asked and held his breath, PRAYING it wasn't Nyx.

"We don't find out until they're revealed live at the event unfortunately...but they almost always throw in newbies right away. Unless of course, there was a reason they couldn't be included. Like an injury or something." Drake responded to Nate. He thought for a moment, he couldn't decide if he was a horrible person for hoping Nyx would be excluded in the event this time. One thing was for sure though, he had to watch the fight to make sure.

"Okay, let's go, I don't wanna miss anything." Nate said quickly before turning and walking back towards the living quarters. The three guys exchanged a worried look before jogging to catch up with him.

~~~~~

"Come here, come on!" Nerissa playfully begged Nyx and Soul to hurry up and sit down before the stream started.

"Relax, we're here." Soul grumbled as she sat down on the bed in front of the TV. Nerissa turned on the TV and sure enough, Zachariah was there on screen.

"Welcome! Welcome again to The Battle of Odds!" Zachariah announced into his microphone as the camera panned away from him and filmed the roaring crowd. Most of them were wearing masks to hide their faces.

"Thank you, thank you. We're back for another blood-pumping event, we have a simple 1v1 for you today featuring two of our veterans. We got Nighthawk verses...The Phoenix!" Zachariah finished triumphantly as the two elevator doors on either side of the arena opened, revealing the two fighters. The camera finally panned out to view the entire arena, it resembled a small forest, and was only a little bit larger than a football field. There were many blunt weapons strewn about the arena but there were also some sharp weapons sticking out of the ground. The camera did a closeup of Nighthawk first, he had piercing blue eyes and long black hair. He almost looked like the male version of Nyx.

"Holy shit, it's Jack!" Soul said excited as her eyes were glued to the screen.

"They were childhood besties." Nerissa whispered when Nyx looked at her for an answer. Nyx nodded before looking back to the screen the camera then panned over to the other fighter.

"Oh, you have GOT to be kidding me." Nyx said as she saw Jessi standing across the arena.

"Oh damn, I'm surprised they picked her to fight today after what happened." Nerissa chimed in, "At least you can see her ability so you aren't surprised if you guys go against each other." Nyx looked concerned at that last statement.

"3...2...1...FIGHT!" Zachariah's voice boomed from the loud speaker before the two fighters took off towards each other, Jack let out a loud grunt as large black wings unfurled from his shoulder blades. Jessi also let out a loud grunt as bright orange wings of fire unfurled from her shoulder blades. Nyx gasped in a combination of fascination and fear, but watched intently. The two collided, Jack was the first to strike as he leaned back and propped himself up on his wings. He brought his legs up to send a hard, two legged kick into Jessi's solar plexus. However, she was prepared and sent her wings downwards and lifted off the ground to dodge the kick.