91: Let It Out

TW// GRAPHIC BLOOD AND VIOLENCE

One of Azriel's guards unlocked the door that led into the dungeon and slid the keyring back into his pocket before stepping inside. After slowly making his way down the stairs with a closed fist to his mouth to cover a yawn, he jolted when he looked into Nate's cell to find the chair completely empty. This shouldn't have been possible, just like it shouldn't have been possible that the cell was empty and still locked. The guard frantically pulled out his keys again before unlocking the cell, desperately trying to find out what happened and hopefully avoid Azriel's wrath for losing his prized prisoner.

The guard stepped into the cell and entered a few steps with a confused and slightly worried look. Suddenly, he grunted when he felt a heavy object fall onto his back from above. He felt a hand plant over his mouth and a muffled scream sounded through the silent dungeon as Nate drove the dagger into the man's chest once, twice, three times. Nate's feet planted on the ground as the guard fell onto his stomach, now peacefully quiet. Nate quickly bent down and took the ring of keys from the guards pocket before tearing off a piece of the guards white shirt to use as a makeshift bandage for his injured eye.

"Gracias, amigo." Nate whispered quietly as he spun the key ring around his finger before clutching it in his hand. Survive, Nathan. Nerissa's words sounded through his mind before Nate whipped around and ran out of the cell and down the hall where he had seen all of his visitors come from. Thankfully, this corridor was linear so it wasn't difficult to find the large gilded door that led out of the dungeon. Once he reached the door, he took a deep breath and weighed his odds.

Okay, I'm alone in a completely unfamiliar and hostile territory, with no Gift. I likely wouldn't stand a chance against Azriel without my Gift but...if I can get to Nerissa and tell her the truth, it could change everything. Nate gritted his teeth. Fuck, but if Azriel is with her...he could react violently upon seeing me free, considering she was the last one seen with me. No, the safest option is to get out and come back for her. Nate made his decision to focus on trying to get out, rather than finding Nerissa. He was powerless and already injured, he could already feel the blood loss beginning to weaken him but he couldn't rest yet. Nate stepped forward and opened the large door before peeking out. It was an empty hallway that was posh and extravagant, a complete change from the hellish dungeon he came from.

Nate pushed open the door fully and moved quickly and quietly down the hall with the dagger clutched tightly in his hand. He slowed down when he reached an open door on the right side of the hall, he leaned against the wall before he peeked around the corner. It was a large room that looked to be a lounge of some kind, a few couches and chairs peppered the room decorated with white marble and rose quartz accents. Tch, like he needs to be richer. Nate thought to himself before he continued past the door and down the hallway.

Nate cursed under his breath, this place was like a labyrinth with no indication on which way was the proper way out. What truly intrigued him, was that the halls and rooms seemed completely vacant. It was as if that singular guard was the only one in this entire place, unless all the guards were stationed to protect Azriel. Nate neared the end of the hall and came to another door, it was large and made from pristine steel. This looks promising. Nate thought before he heard frantic footsteps approaching fast from around the corner. His eyes widened and he impulsively decided to open the pristine door and quickly move inside before he was discovered. He shut the door as quietly as he could before planting his ear against the door to listen for the footsteps. He could hear two sets of footsteps running down the hallway, passing the room he was in, and then fading away. Nate exhaled in relief before a soft and lyrical hum caused his entire body to tense in fear. Nate quickly whipped around and felt his blood run cold.