45: Doubt

Soul's eyes lazily fluttered open when she woke from her unrestful sleep. Her body ached from the previous night. After Damien had brought Soul to the same cell that had housed Nerissa, he took it upon himself to punish her a little bit. Soul sat up and stretched her arms above her head, wincing from the pain, but the stretch still felt oddly nice. She brought her arms down and stared off into space, she really was stupid for coming here. She should've never thought that she would be accepted in this place again after everything she had done against her family. After all, they had Damien back and now Orion, they have no need for her anymore.

Soul caught something out of the corner of her eye and snapped her attention to it. It was Orion, he was standing outside her cell, holding a meek and shy posture. "Are you my guard now?" Soul asked coldly, to which, Orion flinched slightly.

"No." He said quietly, "I just...you're friends with Nyx and Oliver, right?"

"How do you know their names?" Soul asked in a stern tone.

"I remember every name and face that I come across...so, is it true?" Orion asked shyly again.

Soul hesitated before answering, "Yeah. They're my friends."

Orion fidgeted with his fingers and looked down, he was radiating remorse. "Um...I just wanted to say...I'm sorry for hurting them...are they okay?"

Soul was surprised, her posture softened. "They're okay, they were healed up after they were brought back."

"That's good...that white haired boy, Danny, stopped Nyx from killing me. Even though I've been told that if I see him, I'm to bring him back alive." Orion said quietly with a hint of embarrassment.

Soul's eyes widened in concern. "God I'm so stupid, why the hell would I think they'd stop hunting them down just because I came back?" Orion watched as Soul began pacing back and forth in her cell.

"Uh, Soul?" Orion said quietly. Soul stopped pacing and looked at him. "Do you think...that your friends can...get us out of here?"

"Us?" Soul stepped forward. "You want to get out of here?"

"I do....I know that...they created me. I know that they... technically own me. But I don't want to be here..." Orion's voice broke slightly. "I've been alive for 6 weeks and I've killed 17 people. I know that I was created to kill, but I should be allowed to choose the lives I take... I'd much rather kill people who deserve it than kill innocent people..." Orion was talking in an even tone but there were tears falling down his face. Soul stared in shock, this boy was having a conflicting inner turmoil. He had no problem with killing people...but he wanted to use that power for helping people rather than hurting innocents.

"Yeah...yeah I think they'll help you... although Nyx and Oliver might take a bit to warm up to you." Soul said cautiously.

Orion wordlessly nodded before he turned to leave the room. "Hey, Orion?" Soul spoke up and caused him to stop and turn back around to face her. "Do you know...how they brought Damien back?" Soul asked cautiously.

Orion shifted and radiated discomfort again, "I know it's very similar to how they made me. I wasn't alive when Damien was killed so I only know what I've heard. I heard that the scientists started working on it very shortly after he was killed. I think they replaced a lot of the dead cells in his body with manufactured cells built from Master Kuroi's DNA." Soul's brow furrowed when Orion called her father "master". "It's what gave him the idea to make me."

"He really just couldn't accept Damien's death, huh?" Soul spoke to herself. It was at that moment that Damien himself entered the room with his trademarked smirk on his face. "Oh, and speak of the devil!" Soul said as she gestured to him.