88: Awakening

The group piled into a large black SUV with Danny driving. He twisted the key in the ignition and slammed his foot onto the gas pedal before he finally spoke. "Okay, so I'm thinking that, until we figure out more information about our specific assignments, we should stay together and focus on civilians." He said as the car sped out of Sanctuary's parking lot.

"That's what I was thinking too, and searching for any of Azriel's buddies." Nate responded from the back seat as he looked over at the rearview mirror to catch Danny's eyes.

"Uh...do we have any idea what we're walking into?" Nyx asked everyone, but no one could bring themselves to respond. Of course they had guesses, but those guesses were nothing compared to what was really waiting for them.

When the SUV got closer to the city, everyone looked out their windows and shocked looks spread across their faces. Plumes of smoke peppered the skyline, and flames could be seen out of windows in various buildings. Then they started to see civilians, screaming and running for their lives away from another group of civilians with glowing pink eyes and unhinged grins on their faces.

"Look alive." Danny said as he quickly sped past a small group of frantically running civilians before jerking the wheel and the car turned fast before skidding to a stop. The group quickly left the car before Nate stuck his fingers in his mouth and whistled loudly. "If you feel like living, get behind us now!" He yelled loudly as he and his friends ran forward. Soul lifted both of her hands as the group of lucid civilians ran past them before stopping to breathe. Six tendrils of shadow shot up from each of the controlled civilians shadow and wrapped around them, lifting them off the ground. Each of them had some type of sharp or blunt weapons that fell from their grips when they were restrained. Nyx and her friends each brandished their tranquilizer guns and each agent shot a different controlled civilian to knock them out. After they were knocked out, Soul released them from her shadows and their limp bodies fell to the ground.

Danny turned around to face the civilians they had saved, it looked to be a family, mother, father, and two little boys. The parents were crouched down and holding their children with looks of fear on their faces. Danny slowly kneeled in front of them and they recoiled a bit while Danny looked at them with a soft and calm look. "We aren't going to hurt you, we're here to help." Danny said softly before he looked over to the right and saw a department store that looked to be abandoned. "We're gunna make sure that store is empty, then you should barricade yourselves inside, where you'll be safe until rescue comes. Alright?" Danny said with a soft smile as he looked down at one of the little boys, who smiled nervously through his fear.

"Y-yes...th-thank you." The mother said with a shaking voice before they all stood up and moved towards the store. The front door was locked up tight when Danny tried to open it, so Nyx stepped forward and pointed at the lock before flicking her finger to the side. The group heard a click before Nyx reached forward and pulled open the door.

"Hello? Anyone in here?" Nyx called out into the dark store before she was answered by silence. Danny placed a hand on Nyx's shoulder when she tried to step forward, Nyx hesitated and Danny walked past her as he unsheathed his katana. The civilian family stayed in the center of the Sanctuary agents for protection as they were led into the store. Danny checked each of the isles before his shoulders relaxed. He turned around to speak to the civilians when his eyes caught a glimpse of a door that led to a back room. Danny's eyes narrowed as he looked at the door.

"I'm gunna check that back room, there are probably some heavy boxes back there to use for the barricade." He said quietly before moving to the door. Danny could feel subtle anxiety creeping into his system as he gently gripped the doorknob and hesitated. He heard a soft psst behind him and Danny turned to look. He saw Nate approaching with one of his handguns in his hand. Danny nodded subtly before backing up slightly to give Nate room. Danny then turned the knob and quickly swung open the door and Nate swiftly pointed the gun inside. They both sighed softly in relief when they saw it empty. Other than the large boxes of back stock food, of course.