74: Gravity

Three days later
Azriel's lair, Nerissa's room

Nerissa opened her eyes slowly as she stirred from her slumber. She sat up in bed and sniffed the air deeply, she could smell her usual breakfast at the table and she found herself smiling. She slowly got out of bed and went to go sit at her table to eat her delicious waffles. Her mind started to wander a bit as she took her first bite, she thought about her old friends. Part of her admitted that she truly did miss them, well except for maybe Nate...but she missed Soul, she missed her brother, she missed Orion...

She was jolted from her thoughts when there was a soft knock on the door. "Come in!" She called out loud enough for them to hear. The door opened and Jaya leaned inside, his bright yellow eyes barely peeking around the door.

"Oh, Jaya, hello. What can I help you with?" Nerissa asked kindly. While it kind of hurt her a bit how much Jaya reminded her of Orion, she found herself beginning to like him. He was quiet and often distant, but he was good company to have and a great listener. Jaya walked in slowly and shut the door behind him before he sat down at the table.

"Nothing really..." Jaya replied in a quiet tone. "Azriel sent me, he wants to ask you something after you're done eating." Jaya said with his hands in his lap. He looked uncomfortable and it caused Nerissa to tilt her head as she finished chewing a bite of waffle.

"Is something wrong, Jaya?" She asked him quietly but with genuine concern.

His head perked up before his eyes subtly darted around the room, like he was looking for something. "Uh, no I don't think so. It's just-" Jaya cleared his throat softly. "Uh... nevermind, it's not important." He looked down nervously, almost giving off...fear. Nerissa recognized that look.

"Jaya, what's wrong?" Nerissa asked sternly and Jaya tensed and his eyes widened slightly.

"...What do you think would be an effective way to change society's mind about Gifted?" He asked quietly, Nerissa was taken aback by the question. She thought for a long while before she answered.

"Well, there are a few ways that Society could change its perspective, I suppose." Nerissa said as she took another bite of waffle. "If enough Gifted could prove to society that they could accomplish great things and save lives, that would definitely help." Nerissa trailed off slightly as she recalled the massacre on Halloween night. The small group of survivors who defended Orion from Elizabeth's scrutiny. The small group of survivors who had seen Nyx, Oliver, Danny and Orion risk their lives to defend them. Her heart hurt when she recalled that half of that small group of Gifted, were dead now. "I guess...the other way is less...gentle. If the wicked Gifted of the world were to be eradicated, that could also give noble Gifted a higher reputation."

Jaya looked off in thought for a moment, "What about people who have inherently wicked Gifts...? Like Ezekiel, Willow, and my brother, Reiko?" Jaya asked quietly as he looked into Nerissa's eyes. She tensed slightly.

"Well...I never really thought that a wicked Gift would mean that the wielder had to be wicked themselves." Nerissa paused as she remembered her friends again. "A few of my old friends from Sanctuary had some Gifts that would appear wicked...One of them can control people's minds, but he used it for..." Nerissa paused as she thought about Nate's Gift further. She remembered how he used it to execute Kuroi. How he used it to take control of Oliver on the day they met. "Actually, he would...use it kind of selfishly...so maybe he isn't the best example." She thought more for a moment, she hoped to describe her old friends Gifts in a positive light when in reality...they had done some bad things with those Gifts. Things that...had gotten results. "The point is...I truly believe that we can all coexist in peace. I met UnGifted who realized that me and my...old friends weren't bad people just for being Gifted. If they can accept us so quickly like that, I think the rest of the world can too. I just hope that you and I are alive to see it." Nerissa stated with a genuine smile on her face. Jaya had the faintest hint of a smile on his face as he looked back at her. "Do you want a waffle?" She asked Jaya casually and gestured to the large plate in front of her that had a tall stack on it. Jaya nodded subtly and got himself a waffle as Nerissa grabbed a second for herself. The two sat and ate their waffles in peace as they idly chatted with each other, happy that the two of them found a friend in each other. Nerissa couldn't help but wonder what Azriel wanted to ask her. She shrugged it off, knowing that her question would be answered after she was finished eating.

Violet EyesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara