89: Retribution

TW// Description of graphic blood and violence

Nate groaned weakly as his head protested angrily, he tried to lift it but the throbbing behind his eyes stopped him. Another weak groan escaped his throat as his face scrunched in pain. After what felt like forever, he finally managed to open his eyes and take in his surroundings. His eyes suddenly snapped open and he struggled violently when he realized he was bound to a chair inside of a cell that slightly resembled the Erebus dungeon, but with a lot more blood. His ankles were bound to the legs of the chair and his wrists were bound to the arm rests with duct tape. He couldn't even lean forward because his upper body was tied to the backrest by ropes, whoever brought him here didn't want him having much range of motion. Nate's mind suddenly started racing, the last thing he remembered was the look of fear on Nyx's face and a cloud of black smoke, then he was suddenly in this completely unfamiliar place. He remembered someone hitting him hard on the head, before waking up in this chair. He also remembered...that his Gift was completely inhibited.

"Fuck..." He uttered softly as fear shot into his bloodstream. His pulse quickened even more when he heard a soft hum that morphed into a gentle giggle. His head shot up to look towards the source of the giggle and the color left his face.

Azriel was standing outside of the cell Nate was in with his hands behind his back and a gleeful grin on his face. His glowing pink eyes however, were saying something else entirely. "Good morning, Puppet Master." He mused in a gleeful whisper before he pulled out a ring of keys and used one to unlock the cell. Azriel slid open the door and stepped inside, causing Nate's heart to race, but he refused to let his face didn't show it.

"Where is Nerissa?" Nate asked Azriel sternly through his fear as he glared into his eyes.

Azriel snickered in response. "That's the question you have? Not where you are, or why you're even here?" Azriel said as he tilted his head slightly, the childish voice that Nate had previously heard him use was gone, it was now menacing, unhinged and dark.

Nate smiled defiantly, "Yes, because I already know where I am, and Nyx does too. I also know I'm here because of the bounty on my head." Nate said back to him before Azriel raised an eyebrow in intrigue.

"Very clever, and that is why I had to stage a little... distraction for your little guard dogs." Azriel mused again as he leaned down closer to Nate's face. "Although, I have actually brought you here for three reasons." Azriel held up a finger, and continued to lift more as he listed his reasons. "Number one, I'm always willing to become richer, and half a million dollars is no chump change. Number two, you're the one person who can shut down my whole operation with a single look. Number three, you're gunna be a sweet little present for my favorite plaything."

Nate's eyes widened slightly as the realization hit him. "You're telling me that you had your little rat knock Orion over the head with a bat-"

"To get Infinity to stop focusing on you, duh." Azriel said as he leaned up again and rolled his eyes and started slowly walking around Nate until he was behind him. Azriel then slumped forward and wrapped his arms loosely around Nate's shoulders, almost in a friendly manner. Nate's entire body tensed from the sudden touch he knew wasn't friendly. "You know, last time I saw her was on Halloween night." Nate's jaw clenched as he recalled what hell Halloween night had been. The woman he loved, her brother, and one of his best friends kidnapped by Damien Erebus. Breaking into the Erebus Estate and seeing Oliver's corpse slumped in a chair. He remembered almost dying himself that night. "It was before Willow pulled them all into her House, I remember admiring how pretty she is when she's unconscious." Azriel moved his mouth closer to Nate's ear and a chill ran through his whole being. Nate let out a barely audible growl of anger before Azriel hummed evenly in response, "That was the last time I saw you as well." Azriel purred darkly into Nate's ear as he tensed again. He remembered taking control of Azriel and getting a small glimpse into his mind for a mere moment. The inside of Azriel's mind was... disturbing to say the least. "When I heard she was killed, I gotta say, I was surprised. However, I was more surprised to hear that it was her boyfriend's fault." Azriel purred out his sick taunt into Nate's ear and he gritted his teeth as the massive guilt overwhelmed him again.