68: Don't Let Me Drown

TW// PANIC ATTACK, SUICIDAL THEMES

Three days later

It was a quiet three days. It was quiet throughout all of Sanctuary after Nate and his friends came back without Nyx. Danny stepped up to be the one to tell Nyx's mother. She was outwardly distraught as expected, almost showing disappointment in Nyx's actions and how they led to her death. However, the pain she was feeling was inescapable. Elizabeth still stayed in her position as Chairman, she didn't even take any leave as a result of her daughter's death. She did however, implement a new policy: For the foreseeable future, students can only come to Elizabeth with emergencies only. This was because of something else Danny said after he had told Elizabeth about Nyx's death.

"I want to train to become a marksman." Danny said to her with an even tone as he looked at her with empty eyes. Elizabeth lifted her head and her blue eyes burned into him and he stiffened. They reminded him of Nyx's eyes.

"Why?" She asked sternly but her tone was tired. Her hands were folded in front of her on the desk. Danny hesitated for a moment as he remembered what hell the last three days had been. Watching Nyx be shot dead in front of his eyes, the sudden and severe rage he felt instantaneously upon seeing Z's face. He got far too overconfident, no...he got cocky. He thought that the power he had wouldn't be enough to make him pay. Z was beyond prepared for him and almost killed him as well. Danny then came to the conclusion to ensure his own victory, he should fight from a distance. While he was skilled in hand to hand, his new electric Gift seemed to work best at a distance. What better way to get eyes for the distance than to be a marksman?

"I want to be a marksman because that's where I feel like I belong. I think that my Gifts could be an effective tool for ensuring that I won't miss, and no one will get the drop on me." Danny said with a confident look in his eyes. Elizabeth thought for a moment before she nodded subtly. It was silent in the room for a moment before Elizabeth raised her head to look at him.

"When was the last time you've spoken to Nate?" She asked quietly with a somber tone. Elizabeth knew how much Nate loved her daughter. After he watched her die, Nate was...shattered. Elizabeth had to arrange for Nate to be under constant observation in the infirmary because he had tried to take his own life. Rhys was the one that found him in his room, face down in a pool of his own blood...he got Nate to Mia in time to save his life, and Nate hadn't been allowed to leave since.

Danny tensed slightly before he sighed and closed his eyes. "Not since yesterday morning." He admitted, he wasn't proud of it, but he had been keeping his distance from Nate. For good reason, he had no idea what to say to him. Nate was a shell of a man at this point, and Danny had no idea how to help him. Danny was trying to mourn Nyx himself...and he wasn't doing very well. "I'll go see him now." He said before he turned and left Elizabeth's office. On the way to the infirmary, Danny decided to stop by Orion's dorm. He wasn't there that night at the Estate, but Nerissa had told him about Nyx's death. Danny wanted to check up on him.

He knocked on Orion's door and almost immediately heard a response. "Come in." He heard Orion's voice was soft and empty like usual, but this time it hurt more somehow. Danny entered the room and saw Orion sitting on his bed looking into space.

"Hey, how are you doing?" Danny asked him quietly, not bothering to hide his own mental exhaustion.

"I'm horrible, Danny." Orion said bluntly as he lifted his head to look at Danny. "I never knew what it was like to lose someone I'm close to, and then I lose two people in the span of four days?" Orion's voice cracked slightly and Danny stiffened. "It's not fair...Nyx was so incredible. She was strong and kind, why would someone just kill her like that?" Orion asked Danny a question that he simply didn't have an answer to.