62: The Maze

October 31
10:05 pm
Sanctuary, The Chairmans office

Nate, Nerissa, Rhys, Soul, Orion and surprisingly enough, Kyle was standing in front of Elizabeth's desk waiting for her to speak. While everyone else was listening intently, Nate was staring off into space, his mind racing. His breathing was still slightly raspy from trying to hold back his breakdown earlier that night. Kyle was standing a small distance away from the rest of the group, silently listening.

"Nathan." Elizabeth spoke and Nate lifted his head to look at her. His eyes looked empty. "I understand how you're feeling right now... normally I would ask that you stay behind, but due to the circumstances, that isn't an option. You are needed to rescue them." Her voice was calm but sincere, she was afraid as well. Nate took a deep breath, he knew what he had to do even if Elizabeth didn't say it. However, the last time Nate took control of Damien's mind, Damien was ready for it...and his friends were almost killed, again.

"Yeah, I understand." Nate responded quietly as his eyes looked back down. He had to be stronger, he had to be more decisive, he had to be there for her.

"Good, take this with you." Elizabeth said before she slid a small cylindrical device across the desk towards Nate. It was a small handheld button device, not unlike a detonator. "Press this button only when you need extraction, not a moment before. The young lady who warped us all to the festival grounds will extract you immediately. Her name is Lisa." Elizabeth said as she folded her hands onto the table. She took a deep breath to prepare herself for what she was going to say next. "I don't want this to sound too brash, but failure can't happen here. If Damien was willing to slaughter a whole festival of innocent people, then he wanted them for a reason."

"I know the reason." Orion said quietly, causing the group to look at him. His eyes were staring off into space and he looked afraid. He was definitely still shaken up from Damien...killing him. "He told Nyx after he had summoned his shadow wolves to keep me and the other guys busy. I heard everything he said because I...I needed to keep tabs on them while I helped the other two. He said: As I'm sure you've guessed..." Orion paused as he glanced at Nate and he tensed. "My target is Nathan. However I know that if I go for him directly he will simply take control of my mind. So I must break his mind first." Nate's eyes widened, dreading what Orion was going to say next. "What better way to break his mind than to drop your lifeless corpse at his feet?" Nate's heart sank as Orion finished reciting Damien's speech. He looked off into space with fear plastered on his face before his mind flashed to the horrid scene. The Devil himself grinning madly as he dropped Nyx's corpse at his feet...

"Nate. Look at me." He jolted and gasped slightly when he suddenly felt hands on his face and heard Nerissa's voice. His eyes finally focused on her face and she was looking into his eyes. "She is going to be okay. We aren't going to let anything happen to her, or Danny, or Oliver. Breathe." Nerissa's voice was calm and quiet, she was definitely afraid and uneasy as well. Damien had her brother again. Damien had killed Orion and Nerissa barely saved him in time. However, Nate had rarely ever shown this much raw emotion in front of anyone. Nerissa had never seen him so scared. As he looked into her eyes, his own eyes were trembling and misting. He inhaled deeply through his nose before he brought his shaking hands up and placed them against hers. He closed his eyes and released the breath.

"Okay...okay, you're right." Nate said quietly as he forced himself to smile slightly. Nerissa smiled back at him to help calm his nerves. It helped but didn't completely cure his fear. His fear couldn't be cured, not until Nyx was safe with him.

October 31st
10:13 pm
The Erebus Estate, Damien's Office.

Nyx woke up with a low groan and she lifted her head slowly. Her eyes slowly focused on the figure standing in front of her. It was a small figure, definitely not Damien. The figure came into focus and Nyx realized it was a kid. Light pink hair and pink eyes staring at her with an intrigued look. Nyx jolted slightly and leaned backwards in the chair. The boy jolted as well as Nyx's movement startled him. Nyx noticed that the boy was holding a doll in his arms. It was a strange doll and it kind of looked like a person, but not one she recognized. The boy turned around to face the door as it opened.