15: Infinity

Nyx flicked on the light as she entered her bathroom and caught a sight of herself in the mirror. The bruise on her eye was almost completely faded now, it had been about 2 weeks since The Phoenix had given her that brutal shiner. She gritted her teeth, I really folded like a lawn chair huh...pathetic. Her eyes drifted down before losing focus as she lost herself in thought. She recalled the fight she had watched on the TV and her hands started shaking. She was A-Class, but those fighters...they were LEAGUES ahead of her. If she had to fight them at her current level, they might actually kill her. She was snapped out of her thoughts when she heard a knock on her door, she turned her body to look at the door from the bathroom. Nyx slowly moved to the door and opened it, confusion spreading onto her face when she saw an empty hallway. She looked down the hall, left and right, before a flash of white on the ground caught her attention. It was a folded up note, she squinted slightly to make out the writing that labelled the small folded paper.

It said Nyx, but there was something about it, the bold edges of the "N" and the careless curves of the "Y"...she knew who wrote it immediately, her eyes widened in a mixture of shock and pure excitement.

Nate?

Nyx looked left and right again quickly before scooping up the note and shutting her door. She quickly sat down on her bed and opened the letter,

Hey Nyx,

Unfortunately, I can't come out and say my name in case this gets intercepted, but I think you know who I am already. I want to come out and say one thing first and foremost, I'm sorry.

I'm sorry that I couldn't protect you better, I'm sorry that I failed to keep us safe. Now I can already hear you telling me how it wasn't my fault, but the fact remains that we wouldn't be in this mess if I was stronger.

Moving on from that, how are you doing? I know that you must've been scared for a few days before finding some friends. You did find some friends, right? I found some, Rhys, Drake, and Danny. I think you'd like them, they seem like really good people. They even promised that if you guys ever end up against each other in the arena, they'd go easy on you. Although, the only people you would face would probably be either Drake or Danny. Frankly, I think you could take them, haha.

Anyway, I should probably wrap this up before I start rambling...if you want, you can write me a letter back. I asked around the prison and found a guard who's willing to transfer letters back and forth. Just write me a letter and give it to Matt, he's a young guard with dark hair.

N.

Nyx stared at the paper with shaking hands. He actually found a way to close the gap. Nyx's eyes watered slightly as she smiled at the paper, she folded the paper back up and slid it in-between her mattress and box spring. She looked out her window as she stood up straight, the red brick wall taunting her in the distance. She took a deep breath, gathered her courage and left her room, she wanted to ask Nerissa about what to do.

"Nate sent you a letter?! THAT'S SO CUTE!" Nerissa said through a shriek, Nyx leaned back slightly.

"What do you mean "cute"?! He's just my best friend, okay? That's all." Nyx responded sternly, to which, Nerissa's facial expression changed to slight frustration as she grumbled.

"Fine." Nerissa grumbled, "but what are you gonna respond with?"

"I don't know, I have an infinite amount of things I want to say, but I can only fit so much on a piece of paper." Nyx looked off into space, her mind racing.

"Why not just assure him that you're okay, you are okay, right?" Nerissa said as she leaned closer, searching her eyes.

"I...I don't know, I think I am...but I'm also still constantly afraid, I've only ever fought someone out of self defense. I guess that's not too different from the games though, I guess I'm just...afraid of hurting someone who is only in that arena because they're forced to be. I'm afraid of killing someone, again." Nyx whispered with a shaking voice. Nerissa placed a hand on Nyx's knee and smiled in a comforting manner.