69: Villain

Three weeks later

Nate opened his eyes, and he was in darkness. He looked around in all directions but couldn't see a single thing. His eyes widened slightly when he heard shuffling behind him. He turned around and saw his favorite sight in the world. He saw Nyx. She was standing in front of him, about three feet away. He stared for a moment with misted eyes.

"My love." She spoked finally, her voice sending a warm sensation through Nate's body. "I would die for you." Her sapphire eyes sparkled slightly and Nate swore he saw heaven in that moment.

"No." Nate uttered softly as a tear fell from his eye. "I would die for you, and I would give anything for it to be me instead."

"No." Nyx spoke again as she stepped closer to him. "I would die for you, but instead, I died because of you." Her voice turned darker and Nate's heart felt like it had been gripped with icy hands.

"No-"

"I died...because of you." Nyx repeated again as she stepped forward once more. Her eyes turned red as Nate stared with fear and heartbreak plastered on his face. "I died because of you..." Her voice started to echo in his ears, seemingly coming from all around him.

"Stop..." Nate uttered as he planted his hands on his ears and dropped to his knees. Nyx's voice kept repeating those same haunting words over and over as Nate begged it to stop. "Please...I'm sorry. I'm so sorry...I didn't know...I didn't mean to...." He pleaded for this horrid nightmare to just end. Just as the overlapping voices began to become too loud for him to bare, Nate jolted awake and his eyes snapped open. He stared at the ceiling as he breathed heavily. His skin felt cold and crawled, he was craving her touch, even though he knew he could never feel it again. There were panicked tears streaming down his face when he sat up in his bed in the infirmary. Those tears shifted to contempt as he recalled the night with a bit more clarity. He recalled Z, and the cocky look on his face. He recalled Nerissa's pained scream of horror, but she just...stood there. Until, Danny was hurt that is, then she immediately ran to his aid. Of course it would make sense for Nerissa to help him, he's her brother. Although, Nyx was supposedly her best friend, why wouldn't Nerissa help her? Nate raised his head slightly and saw Mia, who was standing at the end of his bed. He quickly buried down his anger and focused on her.

"Are you alright?" She asked him with a sincere tone. "You were talking in your sleep. Another nightmare?"

Nate took a while to calm his breathing with his hand on his chest, his other hand wiped away his tears. His heart rate slowed down after a few minutes and he finally gathered himself enough to speak. "Yeah...another nightmare." He said, silently refusing to elaborate more on the subject. Mia's eyes softened on him and she took a moment to respond back to him.

"Well, on the bright side, you are finally cleared for discharge. You're free to go." Mia said slightly warmly as she smiled at him.

"Really?" He asked hopefully.

"Yes, The Chairman wishes to see you in her office immediately." Mia's tone dropped and Nate sighed. He didn't want to see Elizabeth, she looked so much like Nyx that just seeing her reminded him of what he lost. Nate nodded and got out of bed, he winced slightly when his bare feet touched the cold tile floor. He sucked it up and got to his feet, his legs shook slightly from lack of use. Mia reached into her pocket and pulled out a small granola bar. "Please, eat something." She said as she looked into Nate's eyes. He held her gaze for a moment before he took the granola bar and opened it as he walked out of the infirmary and to Elizabeth's office.

He had already finished the granola bar when he entered the room, he already saw Danny, Rhys and Orion standing at Elizabeth's desk. They all turned around to face him as he entered, he lifted his head to look at them all. His face was devoid of any emotion and his eyes were empty. He walked into the office and approached the desk.