80: The Queen of Spades

It was almost 3 am when Nyx stumbled through the empty halls of Sanctuary, away from Nate's room. She was holding her arms with her head down, her eyes burned and overflowed with tears. She ran out of Nate's room after what he said, she had to get out of there. Her worst nightmare was becoming real. Nyx's breathing was starting to become erratic, but she knew exactly where to go to calm down.

Meanwhile, Kyle was awake as well, standing out on his balcony in the crisp night air. He was leaning his elbows against the railing and smoking a cigarette. For reasons only known to him, he hadn't been able to get to sleep. As he took a drag, he admired the tranquil scenery of the small lake on campus with deep woods behind it. He always thought his room had the best view. His eyes suddenly noticed movement down below on the grass. He squinted to try and get a better look before his heart fluttered with shock and confusion. His eyes widened and his cigarette slipped from his fingers and off the balcony. "...No way...Nyx?"

At the lake, Nyx stumbled forward before her legs gave out and she dropped to her knees. She hugged herself tightly and sobbed quietly. He doesn't love me anymore. I betrayed him. What have I done?

Nyx was so trapped in her own mind that she didn't even hear Kyle approach. Granted, he was approaching silently and with a look of shock on his face. There's no way that's her... He thought to himself as he got closer, only being able to see her back. He heard her crying, and his blood felt hotter from the sudden shot of adrenaline.

"Nyx?" Nyx jolted when she heard the voice call her name and she swung her arm blindly behind her as she turned. Her fist went straight through Kyle and the clone quickly crumbled away into pink energy, revealing the real Kyle standing behind the clone with wide eyes as they faded from pink, back to blue. Nyx quickly stood up with a mirrored look of shock, tears streaming down her face. Kyle suddenly stepped forward and hugged her closely, Nyx stared over his shoulder. She had never seen Kyle hug anyone, so this was...surprising. "I knew...that if it really was you...you'd swing without looking." Kyle whispered into her shoulder with a slightly shaking voice. He then moved Nyx back by her shoulders and stepped back a few steps as he cleared his throat. Nyx snorted slightly, seeing that Kyle was embarrassed to show his joy, even though it was just them out here. She lifted her hand and wiped the edge of her eye with her knuckle. She looked down and Kyle's face softened. "How...is it really you?" He asked her quietly.

"That is just...such a long story and I just...I don't have the energy to tell it again...not right now." Nyx whispered as she refused to look Kyle in the eyes.

"Is that why you're crying?" He asked her again as he bent down slightly to try and catch her eyes, and he did for one fleeting moment.

Nyx let out a shaking sigh. "The first person I saw when I came home was Nate. I told him what the past three months had been like for me and he..." Nyx had to stop herself before she broke down again. She took a few deep breaths to calm herself before she could talk. "Long story short, I told him that Damien was the reason I'm alive and he-"

"Wait, what?" Kyle interrupted with his sudden outburst of shock.

"Oh, yeah. Damien got my body out of the estate that night, and with the help of this doctor named Faust, they brought me back from the grave." Nyx finally lifted her head to look at him, he looked like he hadn't slept very well lately.

"Wait, this is the same Damien that killed Oliver...right?" He asked as he held up a hand in front of him, his eyes suddenly becoming fogged with anger. Nyx's nose scrunched as she tried to hold back more tears.

Nyx closed her eyes in embarrassment. "Uh...yeah. Same Damien." Nyx whispered as she opened and averted her eyes. She looked back at him when she heard him sigh, he was pinching the bridge of his nose.