17: The Incident

A few weeks had passed, Nyx and Nate had been sending letters back and forth for those few weeks. Nyx now had a full visual in her mind of what Nate's friends looked like, and Nate had a full visual of Soul and Nerissa. Just in case either of them were pinned against each other, Nate and Nyx also told their friends all about the other friends. Just so everyone was in the loop.

Nyx sat down at her table in the mess hall next to Nerissa and across from Soul. "Hey, how are you guys?" Nyx asked quietly.

"I'm great! I think we have another fight happening today!" Nerissa sounded strangely cheery, probably because it was obvious that the contestant wasn't any of them, they would've been gathered already.

Speaking of, Nate was walking down the hall towards his room alongside Danny and Rhys. They were stopped in the hall by a heavyset guard and each of them looked slightly worried. Well, except for Rhys, he looked rather eager.

"Guess who the lucky one is?" The guard teased as he looked between the three guys.

Nerissa, Soul and Nyx sat on Nyx's bed and idly chatted while they waited for the stream to start. "Who do ya think will be picked this time around?" Soul asked quietly and she brushed some loose strands of fiery red hair off her pants.

"I don't know, I'm just glad it's not any of us." Nyx said as her eyes were glued to the screen, which was starting to come to life.

Zachariah appeared on the screen in a grand gesture. "Welcome! Welcome once again to The Battle of The Odds! We have an interesting matchup for you today. Combatant number one is...HARDWIRE!" Zachariah shouted triumphantly as he gestured to the left end of the arena. The elevator doors opened to reveal Danny.

"Oh shit! That's one of Nate's friends! Danny! Apparently he's like a human supercomputer." Nyx said as she pointed to the screen. Nyx raised an eyebrow as she saw a faint bruise on his face.

"Wait shh!" Nerissa said, clearly invested.

Zachariah continued his introductions after the crowd cheered for a bit. "Combatant number two is....MASAMUNE!" Zachariah said with a gesture to the right. The moment that name was uttered, Danny gasped as his eyes widened fast in fearful disbelief. Nate's eyes widened too, he couldn't be there to protect Danny this time.

"Oh FUCK!" Rhys shouted as he brought his hands up to hold his head. His voice laced with panic.

"Oh fuck..." Soul uttered softly in Nyx's room before she looked down with gritted teeth as she gently face palmed.

"Wait, is Masamune your brother?" Nyx asked her directly and Soul stiffened slightly.

"Yeah... I think we should pray for Nate's friend..." Soul sounded serious. Nyx's eyes widened in concern before she looked back at the screen. She finally actually saw Masamune, he looked exactly like Soul. Fiery red hair cut in an undercut, hazel eyes staring at Danny with a hardened gaze. His face was equally menacing and devilishly handsome. It was clear that he and Soul were twins from their matching mysterious charm. Danny took a few steps towards Damien, attempting to give him the same look, but he still radiated fear.

"3...2...1...FIGHT!" Zachariah belted out before Masamune lunged towards Danny. Whose eyes widened again before he quickly brought up his arms in front of him to block the blow that he thought was going to land.

But it didn't.

Danny's eyes opened again wide in shock as Masamune was suddenly behind him. Shit! I forgot how fast he is. Danny thought as he tried to turn around to block again. But he wasn't fast enough as Masamune sent a hard kick into the side of his head. Hard enough that if Danny wasn't gifted, it would've knocked him out cold. Instead, it sent him flying back a few feet before he slid across the ground in a crouched position.