12: New Enemy

"Hey Nyx! Over here!" Nerissa shouted from across the mess hall while waving her arm wildly above her head. Nyx couldn't help but smile upon seeing her, then her smile faded when she noticed who Nerissa was sitting with. It was the girl who was staring at her in the yard, her eyes were still sending a chill down Nyx's spine, so much so that she stumbled backwards and accidentally stepped on the ankle of a tall and brutish woman. The girl tripped and ended up dropping her lunch, Nyx whipped around in shock as the woman's lunch crashed onto the ground. The large girl turned around slowly and stared at Nyx with an angry look. Nerissa gasped and got the attention of the red head she was sitting with.

"Shit, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to-" Nyx grunted when the large girl shoved her hard, causing her to stumble back a few steps.

"Shut up, I know who you are. You think you're hot shit cuz you killed a guy? You're nothing but a weak, pathetic little child." The girl said as she stepped towards Nyx, her eyes traveled to the brute's inmate number, 300-S.

Nyx's heart began racing, the girl raised her clenched fist when Nerissa appeared in between Nyx and this brute.

"Leave her alone." Nerissa's voice was no longer chipper and friendly as she clutched this girl's wrist.

She jerked away from Nerissa's grip, "This brat is gonna get put in her place!"

"BACK OFF, JESSI" Nerissa stepped forward and growled in her face. Jessi grabbed Nerissa and practically tossed her to the side and quickly lunged at Nyx. She was too shocked to protect herself and a hard punch landed on her right eye and she was sent to the ground. Nyx could then hear guards shouting something, "Control, light up 300 NOW!" was all she heard before she heard Jessi scream in pain before falling down onto her hands and knees. Two guards shoved her down onto her stomach and put her in handcuffs before lifting her and escorting her out of the cafeteria.

Nerissa rushed over to Nyx and helped her up, "Are you okay hun?" She said sweetly and she put an arm around Nyx.

Nyx sniffled from the pain in her eye, which would most definitely be bruised in a few minutes, "Yeah, I'll be fine. Thanks for trying to help me." Nyx responded quietly as she brought a hand up to her eye and winced.

"I can't stand that jerk. She thinks she can bully anyone she wants because she is in S class. Be sure to let me or Soul know if she bothers you again." Nerissa said as she dusted off Nyx's jumpsuit.

"Who's Soul?" Nyx responded, confused.

"Oh shit, duh. That's her over there, the redhead." Nerissa pointed over to the girl from the yard, who was now leaning against the wall by the door of the cafeteria with a smirk on her face. She waved her hand once, and the realization hit Nyx fast, Soul called the guards.

"Let me take you to the infirmary." Nerissa said softly before leading Nyx away from the prying eyes that have been glued on them since the crash of Jessi's lunch hitting the floor.

~~~~~

"Now, what happened dearie?" The sweet voiced nurse asked, while Nerissa placed her hand on Nyx's knee to help calm her, Nyx was still shaking.

"It was Jessi, Nyx accidentally spilled her lunch and Jessi overreacted, as usual and attacked her." Nerissa answered for Nyx, the nurse hummed affirmatively as she put her glasses on and lightly pressed on her upper cheek, just under her eye. When Nyx winced, the nurse hummed again.

"Well, the zygomatic bone isn't broken, which is good. However, it will be swollen for the next few days. On the bright side, it should excuse you from next week's...festivities." She sounded a little somber when she said "festivities".

"What festivities?" Nyx asked with concern lacing her voice as she turned to Nerissa. Nerissa only looked down until the nurse went to get Nyx some antibiotics.

"Not now..." Nerissa whispered almost silently while her eyes were locked with Nyx's. The nurse came back and handed Nyx a folded paper bag and an ice pack.

"Here you go honey, take two of these daily until they're gone, one in the morning and one at night. It will prevent infection, please take her to her room Nerissa."

"Of course, thank you." Nerissa responded sweetly.

"Yeah, thanks." Nyx added before standing up and leaving the room with Nerissa following, Soul was waiting outside.

"How you doin'?" Soul asked.

"I'm better now, and hey...thanks for getting the guards, I don't know how long I would've lasted if you hadn't done that." Nyx said she held the ice pack against her eye.

"Ah, don't worry about it. I'm sick of that bitch thinking she can run this place." Soul responded as they walked down the hall towards Nyx's room. The guard from before, Matthew or Matty, was standing outside, his rifle strapped to his chest in a resting position with his hand resting on the scope.

"Hey, I thought I should let you know that Jessi was put into solitary for what happened." He said quietly to the trio.

"Well that's not good, she'll probably be pissed..." Soul responded, "Hey Matt, you mind watching the door for a bit? Rissa and I wanted to explain to the newbie how things work here..." She finished as she patted Nyx on the back.

"Sure but make it fast." Matty responded as he reached back and opened the door to Nyx's room and practically shoved the three inside.

"Okay so, this place really isn't that bad once you get used to it. However, there is one thing that kinda sucks." Nerissa said as her and Nyx sat on the bed, Soul stayed standing. "You see, once or twice a month they pick a few people and make them fight each other in their sick arenas..." Nerissa looked down and spoke quietly. Nyx's eyes widened in horror and her jaw dropped slightly.

"...What?" Nyx was stuttering. Her mind was racing, how could she fight someone with powers? What if she accidentally kills someone again? What if she was pinned against Nate?

"Hey, calm down. It's not to the death or anything. It's just this sick thing they do, they make bets on it, all that junk." Nerissa hugged Nyx as she started crying.

"Rissa...you don't understand, I've killed someone...I don't want to kill anyone else. Also, I have a friend in the boys block. I don't want anything to happen to him...he's the reason I'm still alive. What if I have to fight him?" Nyx was talking through her heavy breathing.

"Honey breathe, no one ever said you guys had to fight seriously, you just have to put on a good show. Who is the guy?" Soul sounded surprisingly gentle.

Nyx sniffled, "His name is Nate, he's Latino, shaggy black hair, green eyes, kinda buff. His ability is telepathy, and I learned before we were arrested that he can also control people if they lock eyes with him." Nyx whispered. She found herself smiling, remembering when he used his ability to force Zachariah to throw the remote to the collar.

"Woah he sounds hot." Nerissa blurted out, snapping Nyx out of her thoughts. Nyx then chuckled a few times.

"Yeah he is." Nyx responded quietly.

"Hey wait, you said when "we" were arrested. Was he with you?" Soul chimed in.

Nyx turned her attention to Soul, "Yeah, we were trying to get out of the country so we could just live a normal life. This...horrible man spouts drivel about being a safe haven for Odd Ones, he's charming, handsome, and kind...but it's all a trap. He lied to us, beat Nate and his mom and uncle bloody, and then-"

"Zachariah?" Soul dropped her arms as she interrupted Nyx. Soul and Nyx locked eyes for a few moments.

"You know him?" Nyx's head bounced between Nerissa and Soul.

Nerissa and Soul shared a long look before Soul spoke.

"He runs this place."