77: Hail Mary

The next day, Damien told Nyx to meet him in the gym to begin her training. She had lost a lot of her strength, both physically and her Gift, and needed to regain it, they also had to gauge how her Gift was affected by Damien's DNA. When she entered the gym, she saw him in his black tank top and sweatpants, stretching his arms over his head. Nyx took a deep breath, she was still feeling...almost guilty for acting civilly towards him. She knew that it needed to be done though, if she had just killed him then she would likely be brought back to square one, endangering her friends...just by being alive. Nyx hesitantly stepped forward and Damien noticed her, he dropped his arms and saw that she was still in a robe and a hospital gown. "Ugh, finally you're here. Use those clothes, they should fit." Damien grumbled as he gestured to a pile of folded up clothes that sat on a bench and a pair of sneakers under the bench. Nyx scoffed at his attitude, thinking that he didn't have much room to act like this considering she was the dead one. She walked over to the bench, picked up the clothes and shoes before she walked to the small locker room that was connected to the gym. Her heart rate picked up slightly as she thought that she was about to engage in a training session...with Damien Erebus. She took a deep breath to combat her shakes and looked closer at the clothes that were provided to her. It was a black sports bra and a pair of black compression leggings that went up to her waist.

After she had put on the clothes, she was slightly disturbed at how well they fit her. She didn't even want to know how Damien got these. She tied her long raven black hair into a ponytail as she walked out of the locker room and back towards Damien. He noticed her enter the room and Nyx saw his eyes travel up and down her body and her lip curled in disgust. "About time, today we're gunna start with hand to hand." Damien said flatly as he stood up straight and lowered his arms. He then smiled slightly and lifted his right arm, his first two fingers beckoned her forward. "Try to land a hit on me, without using your Gift." He said in a slightly dark tone as his smile grew wider, Nyx was struck with subtle fear all over again. She stretched her arms in front of her before she bounced on her toes and tried to throw a punch at his face. Damien side stepped and the punch whizzed past his face by centimeters. Nyx gritted her teeth in frustration before sending another punch with her other hand. Damien side stepped again and avoided her second punch with a cocky smile on his face.

"Come on, this can't be all you've got, hit me already." He taunted her with a cocky grin as he dodged, diverted, or blocked her strikes.

"I'm still weak, asshole. I haven't even gotten all my strength back." Nyx shot back in anger as she threw another punch at him. This time, Damien pivoted his body to avoid Nyx's fist before he gripped her wrist. Nyx's eyes widened before Damien pulled her arm towards him, causing her to stumble forward before he twisted her arm, forcing her to turn away from him. Damien held her arm behind her back as his other hand gripped her free wrist and pulled that one behind her too. Nyx grunted slightly from the grapple as Damien leaned down and spoke next to her ear.

"You have to become strong without your Gift. If you rely on your power for all your strength, you will be setting yourself up for failure." Damien said in a low tone next to Nyx's ear and a chill ran down her spine. She let out an angry growl to hide her racing heart.

"Get...your hands...off me." She whispered in frustration, Damien released her and she stumbled forward slightly. She saw his hands up and a smile on his face when she turned around.

"You think this training is gunna be effective if I can't touch you? You're gunna have to get over it if you really want to take out that sniper." Damien said rather coldly as he lowered his hands slowly. "I'm the only one here to help you get stronger." He looked down at Nyx with hard eyes and she tensed, but she knew he was right. Nyx closed her eyes and tried to calm down.