21: Doctor

The group charged through the woods and away from the compound that had kept them prisoner for so long. Even though he was carrying Danny on his back, Rhys was in the front. He seemed to really be in his element. The group ran until they couldn't any more, and they still hadn't made it out of the woods. They stopped for a bit once they felt far enough away to take a breather. Rhys let Danny down and let him sit down on the ground, Danny leaned against a tree with a pained groan holding his side.

"I'm gunna get a lay of the land here and see if I can spot some shelter." Jack yelled before he sent his wings down and launched himself into the air. After a moment of silence, Nate turned to Nyx.

"Now?" He asked her directly.

"Now." Nyx responded with a chuckle as she stepped towards him and hugged him tightly. As the two were having their reunion, Nerissa kneeled down in front of Danny.

"I know this is gunna sound weird, but can you open your jumpsuit? I want to look at your wounds. I might be able to help." She asked meekly, she had no idea who this guy really was, but he was badly injured and she could help. So she would help.

"Thank you, but I'll be okay. I-" A harsh cough interrupted Danny and he brought up his hand to cover his mouth. When he brought his hand back down he saw blood on his palm. "Or...maybe not." He added with his voice hoarse.

"Please...let me take a look?" Nerissa asked him again. Danny only responded by unzipping his jumpsuit down to his abdomen and pulling it open. Nerissa breath caught in her throat when she saw his body. It was covered in dark bruises and cuts.

"Holy shit dude, what did he do to you?" Rhys spoke up as he saw the state of his friend.

"He beat the shit out of me, Rhys. Obviously." Danny responded as Nerissa looked at him, waiting to say something. Danny looked back at her to signal it was her turn to talk.

"So, I can find out exactly what's wrong with you, but it might be... uncomfortable." Nerissa spoke quietly, clearly not really wanting to do this, but if he had a life threatening injury. She needed to know.

"Do what you have to do, I trust you." Danny responded quietly. Nerissa nodded and placed her hands on his chest and closed her eyes.

"Keep your breaths deep and calm, let your mind go calm and quiet and I'll make this as fast as possible." Nerissa's tone changed to determined. Danny nodded and closed his eyes, breathing deeply as the rest of the group watched with bated breath. No one saw Nerissa do anything but suddenly Danny's breathing began to shake as he struggled to keep it steady. Nyx looked down and noticed that Danny's hands were shaking. After a moment Danny's body language radiated discomfort and pain.

"What are you doing to him?" Rhys stepped forward but Soul held up an arm to stop him.

"Trust her, okay? She's helping him." Soul said determined. After a few more seconds, Danny calmed down and his breathing became steady again and Nerissa lifted her hands off him. Danny opened his eyes again, looking exhausted.

"He has four broken ribs and two cracked ones, minor blunt force trauma to his lungs, and a small fracture in his left clavicle." Nerissa said with a somber tone as she placed her hands in her lap and looked at the group.

"How the hell?" Nate asked quietly.

"Oh, I can manipulate water and such, and there's water in people's blood. So I used my ability to "manipulate" his blood. Injuries tend to radiate heat so I isolated the parts of his bones and tissues that were radiating the most heat and found the injuries there." Nerissa said with a slight cheery tone.

"Woah, I didn't know you could do that." Nyx said to her friend. "Good to know we have a doctor in the group." She teased.

"Very funny." Nerissa chuckled slightly. "The good news is that he won't die in his sleep. The bad news is that if I want to heal him, I need a water source."