51: Shatter Me

"Danny..." Soul uttered softly as her eyes misted. He approached Soul's cell slowly, each step radiating exhaustion, his face looked...empty. He stopped when he reached about a foot away from the glass.

"Why?" Danny uttered softly, he didn't sound angry though. He sounded...hurt. Soul's eyes widened slightly as she looked at him. "Why did you leave?"

Soul stuttered quietly, struggling to find her words as she stared into his pale gray eyes. Danny sighed and looked down before he moved to the control panel that unlocked the cell. He placed his fingertips against the control panel and his eyes started shimmering brightly. Soul just stared into space as Danny unlocked the cell and the door opened. Danny's eyes dimmed and he looked over at Soul, she didn't look back at him, she was still locked in a strange limbo. Soul flinched slightly when she heard quick footsteps approaching her, and suddenly Danny's arms were wrapped around her tightly.

Soul stared over Danny's shoulder, her eyes wide in shock. For some reason, she didn't feel disgusted with Danny touching her.

"I'm sorry, I know you don't like to be touched but...I'm just happy you're alive..." Danny said to her before he released her a little bit so he could look at her. "Are you okay?" Soul's face changed, the mist in her eyes started forming into tears, Danny saw this and his eyes softened. "Soul?" He said gently before the floodgates finally burst. Soul's shoulders began hitching and her knees started to give out. Danny caught her and pulled her into another tight hug, Soul let her hands hang limp at her sides.

"Shh, Soul it's okay. I promise I'm not mad at you...I just want to know if you're okay." Danny said gently as he placed a hand on the back of her head, trying to make her feel as secure as possible. Soul managed to calm herself down and could bring herself to speak.

"What...what happened to Nyx?" Soul asked through her shaking voice. Danny's eyelids dropped ever so slightly as he stared off into space and if anyone could see them, there were small tears tugging at the corners of his eyes before he shut them with a soft sigh.

"Your father stabbed straight through her... Oliver took her away to get her to Sanctuary as fast as possible, along with Rhys I'm assuming...and then..." Danny said as stepped back, staring down with his hair blocking Soul's view of his eyes.

"Then what, Danny?" Soul asked him, sensing something bad happened.

"Nate, uh...he killed your dad." Danny responded as he looked up and locked eyes with Soul from under his eyebrows. Soul gasped slightly and her throat burned, she couldn't even begin to describe what she was feeling right now. That monster had caused nothing but pain for everyone around him, he was a power hungry maniac, but he was her father. All she could think about is what would happen when her mother returned from her trip to Italy, and found her husband had been killed.

"Soul..." Danny spoke again, bringing her out of her thoughts. She looked up at him, he looked exhausted. "Can we leave, please?" He asked her quietly. Soul realized at that moment that every second that Danny had spent in this Estate had caused a bitter pressure to wrap around his heart and claw up his throat, each second it became more and more overwhelming.

"Yeah, I'd love to leave." Soul responded after she sniffled slightly. The two left through the same door that Danny entered and went upstairs. Before they entered Kuroi's office, Danny stopped Soul by placing his hand on her arm. She turned to face him.

"Soul, I...I don't want you to see what's in there." Danny looked into her eyes as he gently gripped her sleeve. Soul tensed and her eyes widened slightly, she understood exactly why he said that.

Her father's corpse was in that room.

Soul gulped before she nodded and closed her eyes. She felt Danny grip her hand gently and lead her into the room, normally she would never trust someone this much. But this was Danny, and she trusted him with everything. The moment Soul was led into the room she could smell the blood, the residual gun powder, the fear.