Chapter Seventy-Seven: Turbulent Dating History

y/n's PoV:

y/n: So it is about sharing him after all!

Charles irritated: Look, that's not fully why – You're just not good for each other, okay? That's why I'm against it!

y/n scoffs: How do you know who's good for who, if you haven't even seen Us together? Like ever?

Charles irritated: What do you mean? Of course I saw the two of you together?

y/n: When?

Charles: That day we went to the restaurant with the others, that same day in the car, and I saw you guys when you were fighting about the text thing, and just generally, y/n! I've seen how the two of you act together – After the club especially–

Okay, you have to admit, everything after the club started to make sense once you realised they were together:

It made sense why she snapped at him in the elevator, clearly being pissed at him for some reason.

It made sense why she listened to him and not to you about the key.

It made sense why he jumped up at lightning speed to help her in the bathroom when she called.

 It made sense why he could just slip in and out of the bathroom like he did, without upsetting her.

And it especially make sense why he seemed so uncomfortable about her being in the backseat with you, instead of with him... 

You sigh.

y/n quietly: That's not Us though. That's fake snippets, or bad moments that you saw Charles.

Charles: I know that he cares about you y/n. The whole family knows, and we've all seen it over the years–

y/n quietly: So why isn't that enough?

Charles: Because I saw how he talks to you, how he mocks you, how he's a womaniser – He'll hurt you in the long run, and I won't allow that to happen.

y/n sighs: Char, I mock him, he mocks me. We're both sarcastic, and goofy people. It's part of the relationship.

Your teeth clench together, when she says the word "relationship". No thanks...

y/n: And about how we talk in public – We were hiding in plain sight. We couldn't just be all lovey-dovey with each other. We had to continue nagging each other and fighting like we always did, so that you wouldn't notice!

Charles sighs: But it wasn't like it had always been.

y/n: No?

Charles shakes his head: Not really no. I mean, I noticed that the two of you were closer – How couldn't I have? And I noticed that how you talked and fought, and what you talked about had changed...

You pause.

y/n: He's good for me Char, you just need to see us behaving normally around each other. When we aren't hiding and when we're at peace.

Charles concerned: I'm not sure I can watch you acting "normally". I've practically already seen too much in my opinion – Heard, more so.

She seems confused for a second.

Charles hesitantly: That... Uhm... Thing... I told you about, with his back–

You really don't want to have to say it.

y/n awkwardly: Yeah, I know what you mean.

Oh thank God.

Charles: I didn't have to know that – But it doesn't help your case, that's for sure.

y/n quietly: Okay, yeah, you knowing that went too far – I was annoyed at him for even admitting... uhm... How that "situation" even happened, let's just phrase it like that, uhm – But I can't change the fact that you know–

Charles disgustingly: Y/n. He admitted to practically hurting you.

y/n: No, Char–

Both of you have turned bright red; You don't want to talk about sex with your little sister. Let alone the sex she had with your best friend – In which your sister apparently moaned a lot and held onto him. That's taking it too far. 

Ew, you feel sick just thinking about it.

Charles: That's all I thought of when I realised – He pushed it too far – Wrong wording, like seriously wrong wording!

She chuckles a little bit, trying to desperately hide her amused smile.

Charles continues: He overstepped with you – That wasn't respectful.

y/n calmly: Char, what I do in the bedroom, that's my business. That's between him and me.

Charles sighs: You guys pulled me into it though – Same as what you said about the "best friend" thing. He made it my business by telling me.

y/n sighs: Cause you pushed for him to tell you. Maybe you were just too nosy in that moment.

Charles: Y/n.

y/n: What?

Charles: I don't care how I found out, but the fact that – Look I'm just going to say it as it is now – The fact that he disrespected you enough, to push into you even further? No.

y/n sighs: That's not what it was like.

Charles: What was it like then? Hmm? Cause all I know is that he went in too deep, and you responded by leaving marks on his back, so I assume that wasn't pleasant, if you reacted like that.

y/n: I don't want to talk about this.

Charles: It's part of this though.

y/n: Yeah, because you are making it part of the discussion. I am happy and okay with what he does. If I wasn't, I'd let him know, and he wouldn't do it anymore. Okay? It was literally an accident when it happened, he didn't do it to hurt me on purpose, and he didn't even hurt me, Char! So! Can we conclude this part of the conversation now?

You simply nod, while staring at the rear view mirror. There's a moment of silence that follows. You're incredibly proud of the two of you right now; This is good progress, even though the tension is high and the topics are uncomfortable to talk about.

Charles: I made you get these tests for your own good, you know that, right?

y/n: I know that Char, but forcing me to get them, wasn't the way to go either.

Charles nods: Yeah–

She stares at you in surprise.

Charles quietly: I'll admit that. I should've gone about it differently. I just didn't want you to be stuck with him because of a baby, or for you to get sick, because of his turbulent dating history.

y/n nods: Yeah, well, there's no baby, and as far as I'm concerned, there's no diseases either.

Charles: I mean it though – He's gone through women a lot younger than you, throwing them away after a couple of days. I don't want him to do that with you.