𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

"HIS EYES WERE GLOWING," CHRIS INFORMED THEM

"HIS EYES WERE GLOWING," CHRIS INFORMED THEM. He was telling the story of his first interaction with the ghost ninjas. "His eyes were glowing. There was something almost ritualistic about it — like it was looking right into his soul."

Isaac nodded. He was sitting on the desk, listening intently because he desperately wanted to know what was going to happen to him and his friends. "That's the same thing it did to me."

"That's what they did to everyone," Allison added.

"Not everyone," Scott pointed out since April and Kira and Allison were not affected by the creatures, so not everyone got attacked. "They only came after the werewolves."

The Sharpe girl reminded him, "And Lydia." She had gone by the Martin girl's house earlier that day to check on her and see how she was doing. She was a little bit shaken up, but other than that, she was doing pretty well.

"Anyone with a connection to the supernatural," Argent explained, and April realized that that made a lot of sense since all of the humans were left unharmed.

Isaac, remembering the story that he was telling, quizzed, "Then who was the guy they went after in Japan?"

"A kumicho — a Yakuza boss," the man answered, and they all looked at him in confusion. "It was my first gun deal. I was only eighteen, and it was supposed to be a simple exchange. Except Gerard left out the minor detail of the buyers being Yakuza. He wanted to see if I could adapt in the moment. Testing my ability to, uh...improvise."

"Or, your ability to survive," the brunette girl muttered, not even trying to hide her distaste for her grandfather, especially since everyone in the room hated him almost as much as she did.

Chris glanced at her before continuing, "The moment the sun came down, it was like they just materialized out of the shadows. They had swords — not curved like katanas, but straight, black steel, like ninjatos."

"What did they want?" Isaac quizzed, desperate to know whether or not they were going to come back and finish the job or something.

"To get to the kumicho," the hunter man responded, and he stared at the ground as if he was reminiscing about the past, trying to remember exactly what happened. April bet that this was something that he thought he could forget. "They cut down every living thing in their way."