02 | deal with the devil

T W O | deal with the devil—

C A P R I C E

Sometimes all I wanted to do was forget. Memories I longed to bury were becoming persistent, turning into painful, repeated nightmares. Feelings of melancholy surged up in me and I would wake up in cold sweat.

It drove me nuts so I came down and ate some strawberry ice cream. An hour later, I realized it was a bad idea. Sleep had completely forsaken me.

And being awake equaled to thoughts clanging loud in my head.

Marriage didn't even cross my mind until yesterday. Relationships in my world were nothing but a show, a display of supremacy. I knew because I dated heirs of haciendas and successors of empires. Only one man had my affection but he was the black sheep of the family. So that wasn't counted. In the end, I had accepted that love wasn't for me and that my marriage would be nothing but a piece of paper.

But I couldn't stop the tears.

"Caprice?"

My head snapped upwards to see Indy leaning against the entrance to the kitchen. Shame rushed in me that I wiped my tears in haste. "Did you bust up my security?"

"I wish. But that'll reflect badly on me." Indy dragged a chair and sat in front of me. He bent forward, reaching out to stroke my cheek that was still moist from the tears. "Who is it?"

My lips parted to answer but a choking sound was heard instead. I cursed myself and took a deep breath until the tightness in my chest vanished. "I'm okay."

Indy nodded though his eyes held suspicions. "I'm sorry about yesterday. You know how my brain works."

"You have one?"

"Very funny." He got up and opened the cupboards to find a box of tissues. He snatched one and began drying the remnants of my waterworks. "What happened?"

I sniffled and took the tissue from him. I was certain my eyes would be swollen the next day but thank god there's concealer. "You don't have to say sorry. You were right."

"I'm right?" he echoed, looking dumbfounded. "I don't hear that every day."

I let out a wan smile. "I'm getting married."

"What! With who?" His eyes widened in shock.

"Alvarez or something..." I shook my head, crushing the used tissue in my fist. "I wasn't thinking. My mind went blank."

"So that's okay with you?" Indy's voice elevated.

"Is that bad?"

"Priz! You were crying por el amor de Dios!" Indiana clicked his tongue in revulsion. "Don't you have limits at all?"