16 | monsters under the bed

S I X T E E N | monsters under the bed—

C O L T

Empty. Void. Hollow.

Descriptive words that weren't supposed to be used to describe a bar and restaurant especially in Los Angeles. But it was terms that fit my business.

The Eagle's Nest was once again barren of customers. I glanced at the clock and it was already five in the afternoon. People should be getting drunk now.

I sighed and placed my feet on one of the wooden tables in the restaurant.

"Boss, maybe we should get more chairs," Rum giggled. She sat on top of the bar counter, painting her nails in purple color.

"I'm not sure that's the problem." I flicked through MMA's rule book, a hand against my head. There were too many rules that my head hammered in pain. The letters floated.

"Babe, we'll go hungry here. Let's just do a job." Kai's raspy voice permeated through the air as he joined her at the counter. I heard the pop and the fizz from a bottle being opened.

"You better pay for that," I mumbled without looking up. "We don't even have customers and you dare drink."

"I'll pay for it, little shit. Unlike you, I have money."

"Money from scamming people?" I scoffed, turning a page. "That's really commendable."

Kai's enormous hands yanked me off. He threw me hard. The table flipped and the chairs tumbled. I laughed, staggering to stand. "Fuckin' hell."

I threw a chair at him. He guarded and I kicked his knee.

"Fuck!" Kai howled from the pain, crouching on the floor.

Rum released a heavy breath. "Babe, you know you can't win against him."

"Aren't you even going to help me?" Her husband shouted in reply. He swayed on a table as he stood up in one leg. His small beady eyes pierced through me. "You know we're not doing well and—"

"And what!" Rum lunged at her husband, smacking his muscular chest. "Go back to being a con-artist? I rather not be in jail when I have our baby!"

The exchange got even louder. I grabbed my book again and sat on another empty table. Rum and Kai's marital spat caused me another splitting headache.

And then, there were kissing noises.

"While I'm glad you aren't at each other's neck anymore, I'd prefer it if you don't have sex in front of me." My eyes were trained on the pages, not bothering to see their public display of affection.