03 | sleek deception

T H R E E | sleek deception—

C A P R I C E

Sounds of swinging fists and harsh panting filled the room. My heart pumped twice as much as I deflected his attacks. His hands came out of nowhere. I lost my breath as Indy tackled me to the floor.

"Come on, chica." He grinned on top of me. His hands pressed my carotids.

"Don't call me that," I grunted and squirmed to get my left arm free. My movements were fast. I kicked off his thigh, putting a leg over his neck.

Indy tried to shake my hold but I slid backward, escaping from him.

My celebratory dance was cut off when he yanked my leg, causing me to fall back on the mat. I groaned. "Seriously?"

"You let your guard down." He huffed and swiftly stood up. He extended a hand to pull me upright. "You know you're gonna be alone, right? Your grandmother didn't allow bodyguards so put your back into it."

"Really?" I yanked my hair tie and wiped the sweat off my forehead. I shot him a doubtful look, inspecting Indy's impassive face. "And what?"

"And what?"

"I'll be miles away from you and you're not throwing a tantrum?"

Indy went to the side, gulping from his water bottle. He regarded me with seriousness. "I trust you. So don't be an idiot and head straight to danger. If I find out that your capriciousness gets you into trouble, I'll drag you back here myself."

My lips stretched in a wide smile. "You trust me?"

"Is that all you heard?"

I bounced towards him, wrapping my arms around his waist. Indy seldom left me without protection. He'd usually tail me with at least two bodyguards aside from Seiya. "Thank you." I kissed his cheek.

He placed an arm around me. "I may joke around with your grandmother. But she's indeed a great threat." He breathed roughly, cracking his neck. "I should just kill her."

I slapped his arm. "Indy!"

"What?" he sneered. "I'll make it accidental."

"Indy!"

He scratched his hair, glancing at me. The teasing was gone."I want you to have more choices than the one your grandmother provides, you know that. I won't get in your way."

"I know that."

Indy let out a rare smile. He was overjoyed about my decision that I don't think anything would upset him. "Glad you do then."

"You're the best." My arms enveloped him tighter. A part of me was glad to be away from him. Indy's protectiveness was sweet but sometimes he worried over me too much. Maybe a space between us would be good. Indy deserved to live his life without constantly watching out for me.