51 | places of players

F I F T Y - O N E | places of players—

C A P R I C E

Javier Eleazar Vásquez.

It was the name that Katrina had given to her adopted son. I swallowed hard as my eyes bored on the picture of a child glaring at the camera. The kid had Colt's face. Same beautiful features. Same eyes. Same rage.

For a minute there, I deluded myself into thinking that a lot of people had the same face. And that this was nothing but a bizarre occurrence.

But as I listened further, the truth kept getting clearer and clearer.

"He was about five when I brought him here. I thought that his muteness was natural," Father Orbus continued with his story. "But he was different with the doctor. I guess he needed a mother. That's why even if I had to skip some process, I let them be together. And I know I made the right decision after seeing that boy so happy. But then, Ricardo Paloma started coming to this town."

"The drug lord?" Indy asked.

Father Orbus rubbed his forehead. "Yes. He was a small-time dealer at that time but some kids end up following him. Eleazar had a few skirmishes with him. That's when Katrina decided to leave. She begged me not to tell anyone about her and Eleazar if anyone came asking. She looked so scared back then that all I could do was agree. The next day, they said that Katrina had... killed herself."

The priest shook his head in disbelief. "Eleazar disappeared after that and I thought Paloma had... but he's alive? How is he?"

I steeled my nerves and met the old man's hopeful gaze. "He's alive. But he got involved with Paloma."

Indy arched an eyebrow at my statement while Father Orbus gasped in shock. "What?"

I leaned forward, placing a hand on the priest's shoulder. "Don't worry, Father. I will help him."

Indiana stepped forward, clearing his throat. "Do you know who his real parents are?"

"I don't know." Orbus stood up and pulled out a ragged lab gown from the box on the table. "This is all he had when I found him. Well, he also had a gun but..."

"A gun?"

"It was inside his backpack. Here it is." The priest set an old black backpack next to the lab gown.

Indy inspected the things, a frown marring his handsome face. His thumb rubbed over a faded logo on one of the gown's chest pockets. "This is Helios' logo."

My jaw slacked. Several scenarios played in my head. Before I could ask more questions, my phone rang and Colt's name flashed on my Telegram.

Mierda!

I headed further to the terrace, wiping my clammy hands against my shorts before I answered his call. "Hey."

"Where are you?"

My eyebrow raised at his question. I ran my teeth over my lips as I tried to navigate through this mess. Not only was I hiding my identity from him but I was also digging into his past without his knowledge. The edge of my eyes burned. Can our love even get through the lies that get thicker every day?

In my defense, this wasn't my fault. This was just a coincidence.

Or is it?

"In my room. I'm not feeling well," I replied.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

I smiled at his palpable worry. "Yes. You? How can you call right now?"

"We're near Mexico."

"How long till you get to Spain?"

"About 12 days."

"What? That's why I told you to take a plane!"

"And I told you why I can't."

I gritted my teeth in frustration but deep inside, I was glad that I had more time to prepare myself. At least, I had to know why my grandmother had chosen him as my fiancé. "Alright. Be careful. So, I... Te quiero."

"Wha--Oh, dios¿Por qué te decides ahora?" Colt continued grumbling in Spanish. I smiled at his bewildered words even as he cussed all throughout. "If I am next to you right now..."

"Why? What will you do if you're next to me?" I teased which he answered with a suggestive groan that I clenched my thighs in response. I leaned against the railings, feeling the warm wind that blew against my skin. "Naughty."

"You started it." He let out a deep chuckle. "Seriously though, can I see you?"

I shut my eyes close, fingers tapping against the metal railings. "Let's not. I'll miss you more."

"Hmm. Is there a problem?"

Damn. I hated how perceptive he was at times. I took a deep breath and decided to test the waters. "Colt, I will tell you everything about me when we meet again. I lied about something and I--I hope I can be forgiven."

There was silence on his end. My grip on the phone tightened. I regretted my words and I rushed to take it back when he spoke. "Okay. I'll see you soon."

He ended the call.

I stared at the screen for a full minute as tears poured from my eyes. What if he couldn't forgive me?

"Caprice..." Indy placed a large hand on my back. He was quiet but his gentle presence comforted me as I cried my heart out. The minutes felt like hours when Indy finally pulled me to his embrace. "Everything's gonna be fine, Priz. I promise."

I wiped my wet cheeks with the back of my hand. "I don't understand what's happening. Abuela wanted me to get married and I tried to fight against it. I actually thought I had a chance to change my destiny but all this time, Abuela and I aren't even on the same playing field. And apparently, Colt is my fiance and he is connected with Aeon's family."

"I'm sorry. But I guess we needed to go directly to the one who started this."

"You mean...?"

"Let's pay your grandmother a visit."