48 | crimes and punishment

F O R T Y - E I G H T | crimes and punishment—

I N D I A N  A

The airport was packed that even if I had my own plane, I still had to navigate through this thick crowd. I only took Perez with me, leaving the rest of my men in Oakland. I didn't want to attract attention to visiting a state prison.

We drove through I-580 and reached San Quentin State Prison within thirty minutes. I already made the necessary arrangements before I came that entering the building was fast and efficient.

Perez remained behind me as I took a seat in front of a plastic white table. A minute later, the man I wanted to speak to came in with two officers escorting him.

Long, unruly dreadlocks and one blind eye. I often thought that José Luis Villaruz was destined to become someone of great influence with his looks alone.

And I was right because the man my father had trained had become one of the most dangerous drug kingpins of the West.

He pulled out a chair, his handcuffs jiggling as he sat in front of him with a wide grin. "You are here again, mijo."

"Stop calling me that," I muttered.

"Why not? You used to call me uncle anyway."

I crossed my arms. "You know what I'm here for."

These monthly visits I did for five years had taken a toll on my time. Caprice had voiced her displeasure over my desire for revenge but I didn't stop. I couldn't.

Not until I get the answers I want.

And sitting in front of me was a man that knew those answers.

Three years ago, I had set a trap and gave him to the government in exchange for information and exclusive access. But the man was stubborn. No amount of leverage could move him. Even the prison's execution rule didn't make him blink.

Sometimes, I felt like he was a dead end. Maybe he didn't know who ordered the hit on Aeon. But after doing my research on Krueger, I knew that there were only a handful of people who could move that killing machine.

"Alright. I'll tell you."

"Well, then—"

I blinked a few times to made sure I heard it right. I clenched my fists, sitting straight to hear him out.

"I don't want an international transfer."

"I never even thought to offer that."