45 | time-limited allies

F O R T Y - F I V E | time-limited allies-

C A P R I C E

Love was both strong and fragile.

Or maybe it was only me.

But Abuela had long imbued in me that nothing is permanent in this world. She was right about Aeon so I knew that love was not an exception. If I wasn't careful, it could easily slip between my fingers.

"What's wrong?" he asked,looking up from the ramen he was eating. After last night, Colt had been different. His words were biting, his eyes sharp and focused. And the sex... he was much more aggressive.

It dawned on me that I was meeting his past self.

"Nothing," I replied.

"Then, why are you looking at me?" He snapped. Colt clicked his tongue before he continued eating the noodles.

I used to associate body count with sex but Colt changed that. The incident in the Ensenada port had revealed six bodies with four MIA and an empty cargo container. Not one gram of cocaine was found.

"Colt... what will happen next?"

His hands froze. He chewed the rest of the food in his mouth as his eyes locked on hers. "Do you want to know?"

There it was again. The doubt. I had failed to assure him of my love and we had ended up like this. But not yet. I didn't want to come clean unless I was certain that Abuela wouldn't go back on her word and marry me off.

I couldn't tell Colt and add to his hesitations.

I needed to hold on to him. I wouldn't allow myself to lose another person yet again. I would keep him. Whatever it takes.

"Of course I do! Stop the ridiculous thought that I will give up on us," I insisted.

"If I surrender-"

"No, no, no!" I screamed. Terror struck my heart as the possibility of being ripped away from him. I shook my head. I could feel Aeon's blood on my fingers as the memories swelled up like a tidal wave.

"Caprice!" Colt stood up and yanked me to his strong arms. "It's okay! I'm sorry! It's okay."

I embraced him tightly, pressing my face to his neck as his searing skin warmed me to the bones. Of all the times I could get a panic attack, it had to be now. I was stronger than this.

Rather, I needed to be stronger than this. For us.

Colt whispered soothing words in my ear. He caressed my hair before he rubbed my back. "I won't leave. I'll make this right."

"And I'll support you. Don't ever doubt that." I pulled back to look into his eyes. "Tell me, what will happen?"

The muscles on his jaw ticked before he spoke. "They can organize the entry ports again but it will reach Paloma's ears that I helped him. I don't know if I'm forgiven for what I did years ago. But..." Colt let out a long sigh. "He might hire me again."