06 | smoky intentions

S I X | smoky intentions—

C A P R I C E

I kept silent until Colt parked the car in front of a gym. Real Danger Gym and Health Club. The word 'danger' and 'health' seemed contradictory but I retained giving an opinion. The building had two floors and occupied three blocks of the street.

Colt walked straight towards the entrance without qualms. I followed him.

I glanced surreptitiously at the place. The floor had tiled cracks and electric wirings peeked out from the ceiling. It wasn't shabby but it wasn't first-class either.

"Colt brought a girl!"

"What a miracle!"

I brushed-off the unsolicited teasing and followed Colt's steps. He fell in step with me, peering at my face with intrigue.

"What?" I snapped.

"You're quite prideful, aren't you?"

I halted and stared at him. My chest thundered in apprehension. "How can you say that?"

"You have to make a deal with me instead of asking for a favor. You're homeless and you don't have a job but you held your head high when you entered this place. That confidence is on par with that of privileged people." He narrowed his eyes at me, gently squeezing my elbow. "Tell me. Is there something I should know?"

I chewed at my lip. Colt had managed to read me in less than a day. In my previous assignments, people never dare to question me. They were all in awe of me. But Colt was wrapped with suspicions.

"I'm an orphan. I looked out for myself since I was 12." I blurted out facts based on the profile Red gave me. But Colt remained a skeptic. His hold on me tightened. "All my life, people looked down on me. Everything I do, there's always criticism. There's always doubt. No one believed that I could do something right with my life. And maybe they're right. But I will never let them see that. I will never let them see that they get to me." The truth mixed with my lies. The pain from Abuela's rejection throbbed, making my voice crack. "I only have my pride left."

Bewilderment crossed over Colt's features. He jolted back, releasing my arm.

"Are you satisfied?"

"I was making an observation," he mumbled, almost like an apology.

"You must be very bored to observe me." I gripped the strap of my backpack tight. "Let's go."

Colt Luciente's astute observation left me reeling. It was tough to swallow that somebody had read me in less than a day. On top of that, he kept peering at me with intrigue.

"Stop it." I hissed as we continued walking.

"You're like a snake," he muttered.

"Yes, and they're venomous so stop talking."