60 | a flightless raven

S I X T Y | a flightless raven—

C A P R I C E

The world seemed to stop.

Colt's grip on my wrist tightened that I cried out in shock. He let go of me but he refused to meet my eyes.

Why?

"Stay there," he ordered.

I flinched at his stern voice. "Colt--"

He stomped forward as he took off his coat, displaying his muscular arms and well-trained body. He threw the coat to the side, cracking his knuckles. "I'm a sinner. I did a lot of things I'm not proud of. And I promised someone very important to me that I won't ever be that man again."

Colt looked up, his gaze was calm despite his raging aura. "But for you, I will gladly make an exception."

Sonny scowled as he took on a fighting stance. "Stop acting so tough! Even you can't handle all of us."

Colt smirked as he gestured at them with a curl of his finger. "Come."

My lips parted open in shock as Colt ignored everyone around him. He focused on his enemies, flinging them left and right while Sonny grunted in frustration. I watched as he gave in to the darkness that he had pushed down for a long time.

His eyes cleared. The hesitation vanished. There was no unnecessary movement as his fists connect to their targets.

Just like that, I finally understand why he didn't say anything to me.

Denial.

He didn't want to face the truth that he and I were of different worlds. In the same way, he didn't want to admit that he actually enjoyed facing danger.

What now?

Things continued breaking around us. Acrylic seemed to wake up and took control of the situation. He and Taylor rounded up the employees that remained. They took the path towards the back door as Sonny's attention was completely with Colt.

Aiscelle tugged at my hand. "Priz, let's go too. We can call for help so--"

"Go ahead, Aiscelle."

"What?"

"I still have things to do."

"Huh? What are you--"

Aiscelle's words were drowned by the glass wall that came crashing down. I pushed the girl out of the way, shielding her from the flying shards. "Go now!"

From the corner of my eye, Sonny was eyeing Colt's gun on the corner. I went for it first, my hand curling around the handle before I was yanked backward. I looked up to see Colt's back, shielding me from Sonny's angry outburst.

He punched an oncoming attacker as he glanced at me. "What are you still doing here?"

"Is that your only reaction?" I grumbled, stepping to the side as someone kicked a chair. "Come on. Get angry."

Colt clicked his tongue before he dashed forward. My heart throbbed in pain with his blatant rejection. The ring in my finger sparkled and yet, it wasn't enough to erase my doubts. What did it mean for us? Was this the end of the line?

A knife glinted at the corner of my eye. I turned and kicked at his hand. The bladed weapon clattered on the ground. I glared at the culprit only to see a scared young man. His eyes watered as he crumpled on his knees.

My grip on the gun tightened as the chaos ensued. "This is stupid."

Colt stumbled next to me and this time, blood was flowing from the cut on his forehead. He snarled, harshly wiping his face as he readied to fight again.

"Wait!" He looked back but his eyes remained alert. "Enough, please. I know you're angry but--"

He pulled me to his chest as Sonny threw a vase in our direction. Veins protruded from his neck as he shouted. "Oy, stop flirting in front of me, idiots!"

"Fuck you!" I yelled. "Did you want me that much?"

"Yes!" he answered, his hands flailing wildly. "If I give you to Patron, he'll earn the mines and put me back in my rightful place! I could have the wealth that the trash took from me! It's your fault anyway! The deal with the ranch fell through 'cause you meddled, didn't you!"

I stood straight, meeting the man's crazed eyes. "Is that all? Then, I will give that power back to you."

"No, Caprice," Colt complained, seizing my wrist to keep me from moving. "He won't stop no matter how much you give him."

"What else is there to do?" My eyes snapped to his. "What? You're going to kill him?"

Colt looked like he's been punched, air leaving his lungs from the force of my question. Pain colored his face before he averted his eyes and let go of my hand.

"Colt..." Regret coursed through me. The chasm between us widened and all I could do was watch. "What I mean is--"

But he was done listening.

Colt snatched the gun from my hand and pointed it at Sonny. He remained standing while his men held their injured arms and broken noses.

Sonny put his arms up. There was a wicked grin on his face as taunts flew from his mouth. "Go on. Prove to her that after all these years... you are nothing but trash."

"Shut up." Colt's jaw tightened.

"Colt..."

"Shoot me! Kill me!" Sonny cackled. "Get back in the shadows where you fucking belong, chico! You and I have no right to walk in the light! You know Patron won't stop--"

A gunshot rang in the air.

I looked away, my ears buzzing from the loud bang. Tears burned at the edge of my eyes. Everything was my fault.

Before I could dissect the situation some more, the sound of heels clicking against the wooden floor echoed in the ruins of the gym.

My heart thundered in fear when a woman in a white suit walked in. Her thin red lips stretched in a smile, a camera on her right hand.

She was recording.

"Well, well, I wonder what people would say when they find out what kind of person our queen would marry. Hmm?"

"Katya..." I growled in disgust.