47 | crossroad blues

F O R T Y - S E V E N | crossroad blues—

C A P R I C E

Abuela stood in front of death's door.

There was an uncomfortable pinch in my heart at the thought of losing the person who raised me. For a second, all of my memories with Abuela passed before my eyes like a montage. She was my parent and my mentor. I couldn't imagine a world without her.

But then, what if it was just a ploy to get me home?

"I know what you think, Priz. But this isn't a joke."

"Did she ask for me?" I mumbled. I held my breath as I waited for Indy's answer.

"No."

Of course.

"Then, why are you telling me this? I'm sure she has the best doctors in the world, right? And... she'll be okay?"

"Yes. But her will is not finalized. You better present the evidence for your winnings, Caprice."

"What?" I exclaimed loudly that Colt shot me a worried look. I mouthed a quick assurance before excusing myself and head straight to the bathroom.

My secret life was starting to unravel.

"What proof, Indiana? He doesn't even know who I am yet!" I hissed, feeling the cold sweat that rolled down my forehead. "Shit."

"Then, tell him. Or do you wanna end up a loser?" There was anger and annoyance in Indy's voice that could only come if someone had pissed him off. "Remember Priz, you will have no shares in SM if your grandmother takes it away."

I shut my eyes, pressing my fingers on my temples. "Where else would she give her shares though? Abuela poured her life into the company! And she trained me to follow in her footsteps. She wants me to have it!"

"Are you certain?"

If Indy was next to me, I would have smacked his head. Worry had him bringing up questions that I didn't want to address at the moment.

I bit my bottom lip. "No. If there is a better candidate, Abuela won't hesitate to give her shares to that person."

"Then, come home and clear this up because Katya Udinov is quickly becoming that candidate!"

I gasped. "Are you serious?"

"She's been closing deals left and right, Caprice. The board is considering her to be SM Holdings CEO."