07 | all or nothing

S E V E N | all or nothing—

C A P R I C E

The thrummings in my heart didn't wane even as Aiscelle and I had lunch. She volunteered to wash the dishes while I fixed my room and once again, her openness left me agitated.

I took a deep breath and asked Aiscelle if there was something I could do in return. She appeared lost for a while before she asked me to throw the trash.

The garbage bin was on the first floor and the trash had overflowed. I gritted my teeth and threw our trash. If it wasn't for my goal, I wouldn't be caught doing this.

"Stop it, Caprice." I chided myself. Complaints had no place in my circumstances. I had been feeling uneasy since Colt had read me. And then Taylor had offered me a job without even checking my background. If that wasn't enough, Aiscelle had cried for me.

The surroundings I found myself in was a stark disparity to the ones I grew up in. Navigating this world required me to be open to new things. It demanded me to learn, to adapt, to accept.

On the other hand, my world comprised of hiding and seeking. Hiding secrets and motives then seeking their needs and wants. Everything was a weapon especially emotions.

Yet, Aiscelle had freely divulged her secrets. It's really stupid.

My phone rang as I ascended the stairs. "How are you, Caprice?"

Indy's worry transcended the limits of the phone. I told him what had happened. As expected, strings of colorful curses emerged from his mouth. I chuckled. "Calm down. I'm okay."

"You sure?" he asked.

"Of course. The abrupt change caught me off-guard but I can handle it." I reached the second floor, dragging the trash can with me. "They're different from us."

"Hmm? What do you mean?"

"They show too many emotions."

"And?" Indy's voice turned questioning. How he could gauge my feelings without seeing my face was unbelievable.

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "It's..."

I never got to continue my explanation as a door opened five feet away from our apartment. Dropping the trash can, I peeped down the hallway only to see Colt Luciente walking towards me. "Shit."

"Priz?"

"I'll call you later." I dropped the phone and twisted the doorknob when Colt stopped next to me. His unnerving stare and the smell of cigarettes prompted me to face him. "You need something?"