43 | ghost of the past

F O R T Y - T H R E E | ghost of the past—

A C R Y L I C

Colt and I weren't close. We couldn't be called brothers. He was wild and free. Unlike me. I had responsibilities. Dad was the only one I have and I couldn't leave him alone to tend to the gym.

I hadn't really done anything that was purely for my sake.

Except for Julia.

My girlfriend was someone I pursued despite my busy schedule. Dad had told me that I should focus on my training but I liked the girl too much.

Besides, he was doing the same thing for Colt also. Dad wouldn't listen despite my pleas. My father was adamant about treating that man like a stray kitten, to open his home whenever Colt needs a home.

I sighed as I reached Colt's apartment. Someone spotted him and my father immediately ordered me to give him food and a bag of groceries.

I knocked. Twice. Thrice.

"Colt!" I yelled.

The knob twisted but the one who opened it wasn't my brother.

It was my girlfriend.

I squeezed my eyes shut from the hot weather. It didn't help that the memories I longed to forget flashed before my eyes. I fell on the mat, my palms spread on my forehead as two fingers pressed against my temples.

I kept training and training despite the soreness of my muscles. What if this was withdrawal?

Eli had warned me never to taste the products let alone fall in its clutches. But I couldn't help it. I was too curious. And Colt did it so what if I also did it?

Maybe the pain could go away once I do.

Just a little.

I chanted that on my mind. But I was short on cash. Eli hadn't been around for a while. Even Maky disappeared.

I marched towards Dad's office. Everyone was on lunch break that I could probably go in without anyone seeing.

My hand gripped the doorknob. I scanned the area but no one was around. I went in.

"Oh my god!"