52 | a quick draw

F I F T Y - T W O | a quick draw—

C O L T

It was dawn. The port buzzed with activity as ships docked and cargoes were unloaded. I stepped into the dock, the smell of the sea washing over me. The men I came with sent me off with a nod as I dug for my IDs. I chose the original one.

Or rather, the name my mother had given me.

I had never used it since she died. Having that name while serving under Paloma would only dirty it.

I took the train and let my thoughts drift to Caprice and our last conversation. I did not doubt that she loved me even if she doesn't say the words. But saying 'I love you' knowing that she's about to come clean with her secrets left a bitter taste in my mouth. The words felt like a shield.

Was her secret that horrible?

I had an inkling that it was about her identity. Caprice was filled with contradictions. It might be true that she was an orphan but she had also lived a life where everyone respected her and followed her every whim.

There was nothing Caprice could tell me that would make me leave her but a part of me hoped that she wasn't part of a powerful family. I had enough of those to deal with.

I arrived at my destination and headed straight for the cemetery. The sun shone for a moment before dark clouds appeared and covered it. Thunder and lightning rumbled from the skies as I stepped inside the burial ground. It had been years but I still remembered where my mother had been buried. I planned to wait for Alvarez's men to drag me to their boss.

I was aware that my fake father already knew that I was back in Spain. And what better way to capture me than to surround my mother's hometown with his men. After that, he'd surely give me to the highest bidder. Again. He's so predictable.

I halted in my tracks as I saw a man standing in front of my mother's grave with an umbrella over him. I yanked the hood lower to cover my face, gripping the 45 tighter under my pocket. "¿Conocías a mi madre?"

The stranger followed the sound of my voice. Shock contorted his face as the umbrella fell from his hand. "E-eleazar?"

"Padre?" I muttered. Time had made the priest's face old and weary but I recognized those warm eyes that pulled me out from shit. I loosened the grip on my gun. "¿Qué haces aquí?"

"Qué? I am the one who should ask you that!" The old man's voice trembled as he stepped closer. Disbelief colored his face. "Where have you been? I thought you were... dead."

"You don't need to know that." I moved past him and stared at my mother's grave. Weeds grew around the spot but the huge cross remained untouched.

How many years has it been, mother?