32 | truly white lies

T H I R T Y - T W O | truly white lies

C A P R I C E

I parked Colt's car in front of the gym. It was already morning when we arrived and I had been driving for hours.

I turned to him but he was still sleeping. He looked so peaceful that I couldn't bring myself to disturb him.

'Are you ready to get hurt?'

My heart already ached enough. Ever since I knew about his story, I couldn't forget it no matter how hard I tried. I wanted to ease his pain and make everything better. I didn't know where this feeling came from. I assumed it was the remnants of the guilt I had with Aeon's death. I didn't want to feel that useless again.

Or maybe, he was giving me what I wanted the most.

Freedom.

I reached out a hand to touch his forehead in case his fever was back. My palm barely touched his skin before he opened his dark eyes, grabbing my hand in his.

"Are we here?" he asked.

I nodded, feeling my cheeks heat up with the way he stared at me.

"The gym?" Colt reluctantly released his clasp on my hand. "You should've driven to your apartment."

"It's fine. It's not that far." I grabbed my bag as my phone vibrated. I was sure it was Indy. Again. He had been calling me nonstop since I asked him for that favor.

"I'll walk you." Colt got my bag from me as we walked out of the car. He swung it over his shoulder, wincing as he did so.

"I'm fine." I yanked my bag, shooting him a glare when he didn't budge. "Colt?"

"And I'll see you around, right?" Colt muttered as he rubbed at his nape. He appeared unbothered, relaxed even but his eyes were hopeful.

I see. It wasn't only me who was worried.

I smiled and stepped forward to kiss his cheek. I smirked at his reaction but that vanished when he snaked an arm around my waist and pressed me closer to his body.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Nothing?"

I chuckled, licking my lips. "Do you want to talk now?"

Colt caressed my back. His jaw clenched, the muscles moving as he struggled for words. "Well, I—"

"Colt!"