55 | snake on grass

F I F T Y - F I V E | snake on grass—

C A P R I C E

Katya Udinov.

According to Indy, my grandmother had hired her directly. She skipped HR and the security vetting SM was strict to follow. No wonder she got on Indy's nerves. He hated anyone who didn't follow protocols.

She stopped in front of us, her bodyguards stepping back to give their boss some leeway. "If isn't the lord of beasts, I never imagined I would be seeing you here."

I resisted the urge to laugh as Indy's jaw ticked with his imminent fury. He didn't reply but his irritation didn't fade as he crossed in arms. "Miss Udinov, I didn't know you and the old woman are close."

"Oh, that." She tilted her head, her blonde curls tumbling over her shoulders. "Of course. She's my mentor. I owe her everything."

Those words struck my nerves. I scrutinized the woman, wondering if Abuela had indeed deemed her fit to follow in her footsteps. In fairness, she was pretty. Lithe and slender with an alluring smile that could lower anyone's inhibitions. The impeccable wine red suit she wore only added to the assertive aura she exuded.

And as she flashed a captivating smile towards Indy, I knew then that Katya was aware of her talents.

Katya frowned, feeling my stare. She turned to me with confusion as she raised a perfect eyebrow. "You are...?"

I offered my hand. "Caprice."

Katya's gaze drilled into me as hostility rolled off her. Before I could dissect her attitude, her lips stretched into another smile. She took my hand. "I see. You are the untouchable queen of SM."

"Yes," I answered, smiling coldly. "I'm your boss. I never thought I would meet an employee here."

This time, the woman didn't bother to hide her emotions. Her lips curled in a vicious sneer as Indy chuckled next to me.

Interesting. Was her hate because of the competition between us? Or did she detest me for something else? I decided to test her further.

I embraced Indy, wrapping my arms around his waist as I looked up at his handsome face. "Where should we eat breakfast?"

Indiana quickly caught on. He placed an arm over my shoulders and yanked me closer to his chest. "Wherever you want, senorita. Come to think of it, I'm also starving."

"I think I want churros or tapas. They both sound good." I jerked my head towards the woman.

Nobody could get between Indy and me when we act like this but Katya was of a different breed. Her earlier emotions vanished and what remained was the image of a calm and calculating woman.

"It seemed you have a busy day, Mr. Zobel. Let's talk some other day," she declared, tilting her head up. "Remember, my offer still stands."

Katya walked past us and entered Abuela's room.

Indy dragged me away, shifting his hand to close around my own. We strolled down the hallway in silence. He broke it first. "What was that?"

"I wanted to know her motives."

"She's jealous because you have me," he declared with a smug look that sent me laughing. He pouted, letting go of my hand. "What is so funny?"

"I don't think so," I said. "She is not jealous of me but she hates me. When I said I was her boss, she got offended but that was nothing compared to when I uttered my name. She became antagonistic as if my presence is a sin. When she saw us, she got her bearings back and even propositioned you in front of me. It's as if she realized that I am no threat at all."

"She's fearless. So what?"

I crossed my arms, shooting Indy an annoyed look. "There are only four people in this world that aren't afraid of me. You, Aeon, Jack, and my grandmother. Katya is like that because she thinks that she is on the same level as you. If that is all she could do, then--"

Wait.

I placed a hand under my chin as my mind rolled. If that was the case, would Abuela consider Katya as the heir when all she got was her mindset? She wasn't even family.

I was missing something.

"What if she's my long-lost sister?" I muttered aloud that made Indy snort.

"That's impossible. You don't even look alike."

I let out a tired sigh and leaned against the wall. "So what? Should I just accept that my rival is an outsider? After all these years that Abuela preached to me how being a del Fuego is everything? Why did she even raise me to be like her then?"

"There must be a reason why Katya is being favored. She said mentor too. Maybe she has one that is related yo the old woman?" Indy slid next to me, hiding his hands in his pockets as he stared at the white ceiling of the hospital's hallway. "Who would be the perfect rival for you?"

A smile crawled on my face at how he was trying to accept my theories. "Probably someone whom Abuela also taught. Someone of her blood. Strong, smart, with a charisma that could sway people. That way, we could be on even-- Shit. My dad had all these qualifications."

Indy's head jerked to me, eyes wild with realization. "Priz, your parents passed away in the fire that also took Aeon's parents. Remember?"

I blinked a few times. "Isn't it the same fire where Colt got that lab gown? If he survived and if I assumed that my father also did... then, Katya being confident would make sense. My dad must be teaching her."

"Caprice---"

"Indy, have you forgotten?" I stood straight, meeting his turbulent gaze. "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

"Then, I will look into this."

I smirked. "Don't worry. We already have the first clue."