56 | taste like tears

F I F T Y - S I X | taste like tears—

I N D I A N A

The moment I let Caprice go back to her other life, I immediately regretted it.

She hadn't addressed her grandmother's plight. Not even once. She hadn't handled Aeon's death well and I was terrified that she would shut down again. Caprice told me that she was okay, that she didn't care about the old woman anymore. But I knew that she was lying.

Caprice was soft. If it was me, I'd attend my father's funeral just so I could sneer at his grave. But then again, that kindness was also the reason why I couldn't stop loving her. She tried so hard to be like her Abuela. Cold, shrewd, and detached. But she was only half of that. Aeon and I could see through her bullshit.

And I was overjoyed that she had opened her heart again. I wished for her happiness but I also worry. Caprice would move heaven and earth for the people she loved. And I wondered if this Colt person was worth it.

Shin had given me the file on the person who worked with Krueger. Was it a coincidence that the death god was also known as Colt? Why was he wearing a lab gown from Helios?

I stepped on the fuel, making the car speed up. I wanted to check and take apart the man's life, to make sure that nothing could hurt Caprice ever again. Too bad that something else took precedence.

So, I had no choice but to trust my men. I had them stay in L.A. to meet the contact who tipped me off about the death god.

I needed those results soon. For now, I had to catch the snake that managed to slither her way straight to SM's heart.

I parked my car outside of the bar that Katya frequents. This was part of Caprice's plan but imagining that woman near me caused goosebumps to rise on my skin.

"Gracias a Dios por el alcohol," I mumbled and exited my car.

I entered the bar. It was decent. Black wallpaper, red leather seats, and mahogany tables gave the place a vintage feel along with the jazz music that swirled in the air. Cocktails served on innovative glasses flew past me as I walked towards the bar counter.

I ordered a bourbon and drank to my heart's content.

"I should have known."

The woman's silvery voice reached my ears before my eyes saw her. Katya didn't wait for my invitation as she took the seat next to me. She had foregone her suit for a white sleeveless shirt and tight jeans.

"What?" I mumbled and took another sip from my glass.

"This is the closest bar to the airport. I assume you came here to mend your broken heart?" Katya gestured for the bartender and the man poured her a vodka.

"And?"

"You don't have to pretend in front of me, Mr. Zobel." She placed a hand on my arm, squeezing the muscles underneath my sleeves. "I get it, you know. Loving someone you can't have."

I looked at her. "Is that so?"

"Hmm." Katya sighed, swirling the ice on her drink. "We both have a chance though."

What?

I appeared nonchalant but my heart started to race.

"What can you do, woman?" I didn't have to fake the disgust I felt. "Once the hag makes a decision, it's irreversible."

"Is that really the only path for Caprice? Is it so bad if she doesn't get married?"

I also didn't know the answer to that. Caprice didn't tell me anything. She hid it on purpose. Fuck. Could this be related to Colt's origin?

Katya reached out, aiming for my face as her eyes trembled with need.

I slapped her hand away. "Don't touch me."

"Ass. If you want Caprice, I can make that happen."

"You will do that for me?"

The woman shrugged, downing the remnants of her vodka. "No. But good things come to those who wait, right?"

Her vague answer was enough confirmation. I continued drinking as she talked about random things. If not for the alcohol, I would have walked out already.

"I don't get it though. What is so good about that girl?" she mumbled, flicking her hair back. Her words started to slur as she complained about Caprice.

"Do you really want me to answer that?"

"Nah! I had no doubt you could write an essay about her."

"Are you jealous?" I asked.

"Pfft, no. But he... he loves her. I've never seen him so angry just cause of a woman!" Katya cried out. Her voice trembled as she gestured for a refill.

Him?

Katya had lowered her guard. She kept spouting nonsense about not being good enough and I finally understood where this vulnerable version of her was coming from.

Unrequited love.

No wonder she was quite comfortable in getting drunk in front of me.

"Let's go, Miss Udinov. You're drunk." I stood from my seat and left money on the counter while I helped her up. I placed an arm around her shoulder as I guided her towards the exit. Her guards stood by her car outside and I decided to go for it.

I tugged the phone from her pocket, scrolling through her contacts before I let it fall to the ground.

Katya sighed against my chest. "You're so obvious."

My jaw clenched as she stood upright. The haziness from her eyes dissolved replaced by amusement as she bent down to pick up her phone.

I scoffed. "Why? Did you really think I tolerated you because I pity you?"

Katya's lips curled in anger and disappointment. "Don't act tough, Zobel. You're in pain. I know it."

I was baffled by the confidence in her statement before a dark chuckle escaped my mouth. Her gaze sharpened as I laughed at the situation. "What is this? Were you expecting a pity fuck from me?"

She blanched, taking a step back. "N-no!"

I let out a sigh before shooting her a furious glare. "I handle pain just fine, Katya. I don't need someone to ease it, let alone someone to share it with."