05 | a lucky streak

F I V E | a lucky streak—

C A P R I C E

I never believed in luck.

Abuela had taught me that good luck came from being born with the ability to overcome bad situations and twisting it to your favor. It's skill, not luck.

I guided the unknown man towards the bed and dropped him off. The small bed creaked from the additional weight.

"So, how exactly can I overcome this?" I complained.

The motel room had only one tiny bed and a bathroom. This was the cheapest motel available at three in the morning so I couldn't complain. Anyway, there's a couch too and I would have to do with that.

My legs protested and it didn't help that we were soaking wet. I was ready to rest but I heard an anguished groan from the man I had brought with me. He was lying on his back and I cringed after seeing his blood-soaked shirt.

After he had passed out, a nice taxi driver saw us and offered his help. I had second thoughts about his intention but in the end, I had no choice as the stranger was groaning in pain. In addition, the rain pelted us hard.

Maybe a little luck was on my side because the driver was a nice man. He was black American and he told me that Koreatown was full of people like us. He was used to situations like mine.

He had also told me about getting a temporary room and where the drugstores were. The only downside from my encounter with the driver was my reputation from his perspective. He must have thought that the man and I were a couple and that we eloped or something. Thank god he hadn't voice out any of that.

I stared at the unconscious man after getting a towel to dry my hair. "Why should I help you? I don't even know you. And most importantly," I leaned in and searched through his coat pockets. "What do I get in return?"

He had a stack of crumpled wet bills and his driver's license. Luciente, Colt Eleazar. Los Angeles, CA. I arched an eyebrow. "So he's from L.A.?"

I rummaged through his jeans' pockets but I got nothing. "That's all? How poor."

I ran my fingers through my damp hair. "Fine. This better be worth it."

I seated beside him. My medical knowledge was from books but I do know what steps to take. I peeled off his coat and shirt, revealing his toned body underneath.

Seeing his pectoral muscles and his abs, I gasped in awe. When I touched them, they were firm and solid against my icy fingers. He had a tattoo of Latin words on his collarbone. It read 'Embrace pain, forget pity.' But what worried me was the scars that littered his body. It marred his golden skin in different sizes and shapes.

My eyes settled on his face. He was handsome. Sharp and smooth angles like they were carved from marble. His eyelashes were thick and his lips were–