26 | just the way you are

T W E N T Y - S I X | just the way you are—

C A P R I C E

The rush of the waterfall echoed in the small clearing as Colt waited for me to speak. Frankly, I was speechless. I didn't know what to do with him and his declaration. Sure, I was damn attracted to him but I didn't know if I should start something.

But then again, I needed someone to be my husband. I needed someone to fall in love with me. My opportunistic side became stronger along with the desire to do what I want.

"Then, what do you want from me?" I snaked my hands around his neck that he arched an eyebrow. I tugged at the hair on his nape. "Sex or relationship?"

"Both," he rasped. His knuckles caressed my thighs under the water while his other arm remained on my waist. Colt's eyes were dim, darkening with something raw and foreboding, like a gentle warning of a storm that was about to come. "Give me one chance, Caprice. If I fuck it up, I'll never bother you again."

I had five months left for the mission that Abuela gave me. If Colt would fall in love with me, then it's as good as winning. But still, he wasn't an elite. Our worlds were heavens apart. If I accept him, then I'd be the topic in every gossip circle.

On top of that, the possibility of developing feelings for him was high. The thought was frightening. There were too many unknown factors that my palms felt clammy.

But as our eyes met again, all I wanted to do was give him a chance.

"Let's make a deal," I blurted out.

"What deal?"

I put some distance between us because I kept getting distracted by the tattoo on his collarbone. If I make a decision, I prefer it not to be influenced by my hormones. I folded my arms against my chest as my voice turned confident. "Let's date each other here in Hexwood. If I like it, then we can continue in L.A."

"Seriously? You get a lot of weird ideas."

"Hey," I complained, frowning at him. "I wasn't kidding when I said that loving me requires you to lose everything." Our eyes locked, a smirk curling on my lips. "You told me once that you have nothing. But that's not true, isn't it?" I lifted my hand to his cheek, tracing his jawline with my pointing finger. "You have your life."

Colt let out a low chuckle, catching my hand on his. "Aren't you expecting a little too much?"

"Maybe. But I have no time for half-assed relationships," I muttered, tugging my arm back. I kept quiet, letting him ponder my offer. If his answer is no, then I didn't need to waste my time with him.

Despite that, I held my breath as I waited for his answer.

"Fine," he said. "In one condition..."

"You're bargaining with me?" I growled in irritation. Colt had never agreed with me without a fight that I started to regret my words. He had given me a lot of leeways these past days that I thought that he was finally seeing my point. Obviously, I was wrong. He was as untamed as ever.

"Of course. Because it's not fair," he replied with a snort. "You want a trial period because you're scared that what I feel is temporary."

My cheeks flushed. He had read me and the advantage I had was gone. Now, my risk was at 100% because I don't know if he would be faking it. Shit. What if he's faking it right now?

I should stop this—

"I get that you're scared but so am I," he declared, his voice rising a little. Colt took a deep breath, a hand rubbing at his nape. He reached for my hands, clasping them tight on his much bigger palms. "I'm breaking a promise I have made to myself. Every time I get too happy, things turn to shit. And I know—I know it will happen but I don't care if it means I get a chance to be with you."

The determination that settled on his face set embers in my blood. My doubts about his intentions had evaporated. Just like that, "I'm not used to..." I ran my teeth over my bottom lip. "...so much risk."

"Well, I guess there's a first time for everything."

"Not for me."

Colt shook his head. "Everybody takes the risk if the reward is worth it."

A loud chuckle left my mouth. As much as I loathe him, he was too interesting for me to pass off. I had never met someone who gives in to me so easily but still constantly challenged me. "Fine. What's your condition?"

"You have to participate."

"What?"

Colt released his hold on me and placed his hands on my hips. "It means if I ask you on a date, you can't say no. It means that you're not constantly fighting the idea of dating me."

"I'm not—"

"You are," he muttered softly. His fingers rested against my temple. "And I am certain that if I didn't clarify our deal, you'd tell me that dating has many definitions. So that eventually, you are allowed to ignore me."

I gawked at him with admiration. That was supposed to be my plan. "How?"

Colt licked his lips as he contemplated his answer. "The place I grew up with... People are always taking advantage of each other."

"And you still like me?" I mumbled in complete disbelief.

"Why wouldn't I? And I like winning against you." He wiggled his eyebrows at me that I slapped his arm in retaliation.

"Hey, don't speak like it's over," I said and swam closer to him. My heartbeat thundered in anticipation as our skin touched. "Fine. Equal risks then." I cupped both his cheeks on my palms. "Just one thing..."

"What?"

"Let's be honest with each other."

Colt tensed under my fingers. I saw him swallow as a ragged breath escaped his lips. "Okay."

I nodded. "Then, it's a deal."

"Should we seal it with a kiss?" he mumbled, licking his lips in anticipation as his hand flattened on my bareback.

"Nice try." I chuckled at the twinkle in his dark eyes. "But I don't kiss on first dates."

"Isn't this our third date?" He called out as I turned my back on him and swam towards the bank.

"Stop it."

"If we count—"

"No."

Thank you for reading! Thank you for the 5k!!

And don't forget to vote if you like this chapter!

Note: Edit this. 🖤