34 | fake it 'til you make it

T H I R T Y - F O U R | fake it 'til you make it

C A P R I C E

The next thing to do was taste the food. We couldn't fuck the one thing that would make people come back. I tried to be professional but brutal honesty seemed to be a good way to cope with my anger.

Colt had come back an hour later, looking deep in thought. He started cooking and let me taste everything.

"Use a fucking tray, please!" I yelled as Kai put the bowl in front of me.

I heard him sigh as he corrected his mistake. So far, I had tasted wings, cheese crisp, mozzarella sticks, sauerkraut balls, onion rings, chargrilled oysters. In front of me was the dip for tortilla chips. I tasted a teaspoon.

"It's perfect."

Damn it. And I was hoping to insult him for using spinach and artichoke. Colt really got around if he had managed something this delicious. All the other food was also great though with my high standards, I managed to nitpick it.

"You know that you should learn to cook, right?" Rum said though her eyes were on her nails.

I rolled my eyes. "I know that."

Kai would mix the drinks while Rum and Santi were on the tables. And obviously, I need to learn to cook since we didn't have the budget to hire people.

Hours passed and my dreaded cooking lesson finally came. More than that, I was alone with Colt and that was more unnerving than cooking.

The kitchen was small but two people could move around. There were the prepping table, four burners, and an oven. We cleaned up a little bit before Colt showed me how to cut onions.

"Put your hands like this," he said and positioned my hand properly.

I nodded. I didn't talk except when asking questions. I didn't want to be a fool in front of Colt of all people. It helped that I wasn't interested in conversing with him either.

The hardest were the chargrilled oysters and the cheesecake and basically all things that need baking. My ears would buzz as I countdown the minutes of when it would cook. But what yanked me out of my comfort zone was the mac and cheese.

"I don't need to cook that!" I argued when Colt started heating the pan.

"You need to. What if I'm not around?"

"Just cook a lot and I'll reheat it."

"You serious?" Colt muttered, arching his eyebrow. He had disbelief in his eyes.