38 | sin of greed

T H I R T Y - E I G H T | sin of greed

C A P R I C E

I stared at Jack Silva as he ate on one of the tables. He had taken off his black coat and rolled his sleeves, revealing his pale, toned arms. He never glanced at me that I wondered why he was here.

I had sent Jack an online pamphlet, hoping he would take a peek and share it with his contacts if he saw the bar's potential. But that was all.

I never expected he would come himself.

And yet, some part of me knew exactly why he had bothered to show up.

Jack was the kindest man I'd ever met. He had dared approach Aeon, Indy, and me. The three of us were stuck together because of our terrifying reputations and the fact that we had dreadful parents. People stay away from us. Except for Jack.

At first, we had been wary. We knew people befriend us mostly for money. But he hadn't asked for anything except to cook for us. He was satisfied with that alone.

Even in business, Jack Silva rarely used his brain. He doesn't look for assured success. Rather, he searched for people with passion, determination, and the will to improve.

I liked that about him.

"Are you okay?" Colt asked, trudging towards me with a worried look. He stroked my hair. "Love?"

I nodded, not trusting my voice as I leaned towards his touch.

"Are you worried about what he'll say?"

"Kind of," I answered even if we meant different things. "He's very thorough. We'll be lucky if he didn't say anything at all."

"He's that important? He looks normal though," he noted. "I guess he's like you."

My eyes snapped to his. "What?"

"You know..." he shrugged. "He knows his worth so he doesn't need to prove anything."

I ran my teeth over my top lip. Maybe Jack and I needed to talk. Maybe I could apologize now.

"Can I talk to him?"

Colt was stunned though he hid it as he nodded. "Yeah. Of course, you can."

With calculated steps, I walked towards the corner table. I pulled out a chair and sat in front of him. Jack didn't look up and resumed ignoring me.