19 | everybody's a fool

N I N E T E E N | everybody's a fool——

C A P R I C E

Everybody lies, Caprice. That's why you don't trust anyone.

That was one of Grandmother's favorite statements: a statement she unequivocally believed in.

Rosaria del Fuego was a woman who didn't choose sides. She was opportunistic and would stick with people who she deemed useful. But no, she wouldn't trust them. Alliances fall when she's at the center. It was no wonder that her heart was caged in a metal barrier.

Of course, she had taught me to act like her. And I failed. I always failed to be like her.

I could not see through Acrylic's lies. I lowered my guard. I was mistaken when I thought he liked me for who I was. Even if I was poor and a fucking nobody.

Because that's what love is, isn't it? Seeing past the flaws and incompetencies of a person. Accepting that they aren't perfect, that they make mistakes.

I did it again. And I was wrong. Again.

Love was a shitty myth. It wasn't meant to happen to me. Not in this lifetime.

I drank my whiskey to the last drop. I wanted more but I did not have enough money with me. People who were awake at this ungodly hour passed by me and shot me bizarre looks. Who wouldn't?

Even if I didn't look at myself in the mirror, I knew that my face was a mess. My make-up was smudged while my hair was in a frenzy. I doubtless looked like an addict. I groaned as the cold air blew once again, blaspheming my light clothing.

I had called Aiscelle to tell her I was not coming to the apartment. I kind of lied and told her I was having sex with the guy we met.

I should have had sex!

I was so pathetic! Wallowing here because of a guy.

I was still cursing my decisions when I heard footsteps and an annoying giggle coming from the corner of the street. It went silent for a moment until I could hear sounds again. Sounds of panting and groaning.

"Colt? What's wrong?" A woman's voice asked.

I facepalmed. Did I just hear him have sex?

This could not be happening! I needed to cut my ears off. I stood up to get away from this godforsaken place with the lovely whiskey bottle in my hand.

"Let's just stop, alright?" she said in a worried tone. "You didn't come to me for days. Is something wrong?"

I heard the clink of metal before his voice resonated in the vacant alley. "It's nothing."

"You found someone?"

I stopped in my tracks.

Why was I curious? I need to leave.